Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective? >

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Just like a fat kid finding an unopened box of Ho-Ho's they are in utopia.
Mr. Bawana - I thought I was stocky, thanks Jim, the ho-ho's were delicious and need another box!

#1 (period) I like to hunt, all the other stuff is insignificant.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I feel a lot like you do Preacher. Bowhunting allows me to hunt earlier and more and the deer are easier to hunt during this time of year. I tend to hunt alone and it's much calmer and more predictible. The deer are a little easier to pattern because there is little to no preasure.
GUS I'm sorry I missed this the first time....and believe it or not (coming from me[&:]) I tend to agree wtiht you about the "ease" factor.....knowing how pressured some of you guys woods must be.

This thread has made me think about something else, too. We used to have similar anxiety as the dove opener around here drew closer. It used to be a BIG deal. It likely still is to many.....but I've moved away from that (a little longing, perhaps???). If it didn't coincide so closely with our deer opener.....I think I'd love to revisit it. I've got an aging father in law that would love to get in a good dove field with me. I think I need to think about that, some.

I appreciate the thread, T.....even though we RESPECTFULLY ....heck we don't even disagree (that much).

ORIGINAL: fastetti

There are VERY few things each year that I look forward to more than opening day of gun season. It's not just the opportunity to hunt with my rifle, but everything that goes with it. The 6 hour drive to where I hunt, seeing 5 trucks/SUV's heading north to every one car. The night before figuring out stands, the visiting of other deer camps and hearing the stories about what deer have been seen during preseason scouting. Its almost like you can feel the excitement in the air. Opening morning has to be my favorite though. Out in your stand, thermos of coffee, just waiting for the first hint of light to see whats out there. Just as the first light comes, out in the distance you hear the first shot of the season. At that moment a smile always comes to my face, my favorite time of the year starts right now. I sit in anticipation hearing shots echo around me, thinking to myself," When is it going to be my shot other people hear?" I love everything about it. Then that night getting back to camp and hearing the stories of the day from friends and family. Going out that night, visiting other deer camps, seeing whats been harvested that day while throwing back a few beers.
I think its just being out around so many hunters makes the opening day of rifle season such a great thing for me. Bowhunting is great and I love that is well, but something about the tradition of gun season makes it so much better to me.
Missed this one, too....but I agree with Yooper (below).....WOW. GREAT picture.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

There are VERY few things each year that I look forward to more than opening day of gun season. It's not just the opportunity to hunt with my rifle, but everything that goes with it. The 6 hour drive to where I hunt, seeing 5 trucks/SUV's heading north to every one car. The night before figuring out stands, the visiting of other deer camps and hearing the stories about what deer have been seen during preseason scouting. Its almost like you can feel the excitement in the air. Opening morning has to be my favorite though. Out in your stand, thermos of coffee, just waiting for the first hint of light to see whats out there. Just as the first light comes, out in the distance you hear the first shot of the season. At that moment a smile always comes to my face, my favorite time of the year starts right now. I sit in anticipation hearing shots echo around me, thinking to myself," When is it going to be my shot other people hear?" I love everything about it. Then that night getting back to camp and hearing the stories of the day from friends and family. Going out that night, visiting other deer camps, seeing whats been harvested that day while throwing back a few beers.
I think its just being out around so many hunters makes the opening day of rifle season such a great thing for me. Bowhunting is great and I love that is well, but something about the tradition of gun season makes it so much better to me.
Now that right there is gun season! Well said fastetti.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I wonder if you guys that hunt with a bow and gun (blackpowder, shotgun, pistol, et al..) if it's different, or the same with just a different weapon.

Let me explain. For me, although I bowhunt with most of the guys I gun hunt with, bowhunting is more of a personal, solitary deal.

Gun hunting, for me,is so steeped in tradition ..... sighting in guns, running to the store for the sales with your buds and/or kin ... the preparation before .... the unknown of what is gonna run by you as it escapes the neighboring property .... drives set-up .... meeting for lunch ..... guys hunting on adjoining properties...

Then there is bowhunting .... preparation is mostly year round ....all day sits....calm deer ....you know what animals you are hunting (for the most part), ....

I think bowhuntingis my favorite, because it is therapeutic .... but I could NEVER give up the tradition of gun hunting ,,,it is just too much fun!!!

Can anyone else relate to this???
Yes, I love bowhunting and use most of my vacation time during that season but I love gun season too. I started bow hunting for one reason....more time in the woods chasing whitetails, not because I didn't enjoy gun season. Bow season is fun and very personal to me it is also hot, humid, bug infested, andfrustrating. Sometimes after nearly two months of stand hunting and chasing them with the stick and string I am simply ready for a change, a couple of days gun hunting at the farm with pops or listening to a hound work a trail is a welcome change in "format" sometimes and keeps things interesting. The smell of burnt powder on a crisp, cold morning is something that isengrained in my memory as much as the distinct "thwack" made when my arrow finds it's mark on an unsuspecting whitetail. I crave to relive all of it again and again. I put something likethis in another thread recently and it sums me up:

".....I enjoy hunting/killing them with every weaponduring every season.Bow, bp, rifle, shotgun(buckshot or slugs), doesn't really matter much to me.

A good hunt is a good hunt."

But that's just me I can undertsand thefeelings others are mentioning as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I feel a lot like you do Preacher. Bowhunting allows me to hunt earlier and more and the deer are easier to hunt during this time of year. I tend to hunt alone and it's much calmer and more predictible. The deer are a little easier to pattern because there is little to no preasure.
GUS I'm sorry I missed this the first time....and believe it or not (coming from me[&:]) I tend to agree wtiht you about the "ease" factor.....knowing how pressured some of you guys woods must be.
It's nice to hunt with out all of the distractions and things getting in the way.........That's why I love bowseason.

I guess I also like all the distractions and all the things getting in the wat too..............It's funny, I really don't care if I kill a deer or not during gun season, but I wouldn't miss it for the world......
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The camaraderie associated with deer camps (during rifle season) seems to be the "kicker". So I'll ask.....if the SAME guys all bow hunted.....would that "disappear"? Be "different"? How so? Just curious.
Jeff, I think the success rate of most hunters in deer camp (gun) helps with the camaraderie. Yeah I know, its not all about the killing......but some of it is or we would all be hunting with Polaroids.

Seriously, I've been hunting where no one has seen a good deer or killed anything.....about then someone pulls up the drivewith a big 10pt. It gives you hope that the deer are there, you just need to put the time in. I see few big bucks killed with a bow every year, but I'll see 5-10 during our short gun season every year. All of these things help add to the camaraderie IMO.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I gave up gun hunting central Wis. because I got tired of dodging bullets. I won't hunt that situation any more.
ORIGINAL: magicman54494

This is one of the main reasons I bowhunt. i always have bullets whizzing by my head due to careless hunters.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand Preach.

I'm actually taking 2x days vacation this year to hunt the gun season, it's been a loooooong time since I've done that and I'm really looking forward to it.

Lisa will be hunting with me this year for her first time on the NY opener and first weekend in PA and I'm thrilled to be able to introduce her to the tradition. I'm still going to spend the majority of my time during bow season, butgun season will be one of the highlights ofmy season this year.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

The first time that a bullet/slug or arrow (yeah that happens too) whizzed past my head, I think that I would have to re-think my priorities in terms of deer hunting at certain times at certain places. []
Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tony, I know exactly what you are talking about. Those that have never gun hunted, or did not grow up gun hunting, they would not understand. I love sitting in my stand that first morning and hearing the first shot ring out. Something you don't and cannot get with bowhunting. Bowhunting is more of a one-on-one thing, which I love with out a doubt. Gun hunting, there is so many things that can and do effect your hunt. I have always said that bowhunting is hunting, gun hunting is hanging with the boys and filling my freezer. I don't aruge that bowhunting is special, but gun hunting is special also, they are just different kind of specials.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and gun hunting ..... a different perspective?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.