Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was that face mask? >

What was that face mask?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was that face mask?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What was that face mask?

Guys I know these things are a little pricey (+/-$30)....but they work great....even in our early NC season temps. It's UA.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple spandoflage ones, and I really like them, I use the gloves too. You retain pretty much the same sense of touch (both hands and face) as though you aren't wearing anything. I haven't pulled the trigger on an Under Armour one yet Jeff, but I think its coming, they are REALLY nice. Facemask comfort is something I don't take lightly!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't pulled the trigger on an Under Armour one yet Jeff, but I think its coming, they are REALLY nice. Facemask comfort is something I don't take lightly!
Fair warning to those going the face mask route for the firs ttime, though......

PRACTICE shooting with it on before going afield. When I took my first deer ever.....(it's funny to look back on, now, but at the time I was a nervous wreck)....I hadn't planned for this. I had to remove the mask (pull it down over my chin) at full draw to get to my kisser button. I've since removed the kisser and align my sight pin guard and peep to achieve what I need.

Just a heads up.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good cautionary tale Jeff. I had a similar experience with my spandoflage gloves. I have NO IDEA why I didn't shoot with them before season last year, but I didn't. So, I get up in my tree the first morning, get all my stuff on, have a doe come by at first light. I lick my chops, grab my bow...and drop it! Those gloves were so slippery, my hand slipped right off the grip. Luckily, it just snagged on my bow hanger on my stand, or it would have been a 20' tumble for it. Again, mucho importante to practice with your gear on!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

There wasface mask out several years ago that was a net like material but fit tight against your face. If I remember correctly you had to cut your own holes for eyes, mouth, etc....

With the longbow, I use the feather on my nose as a reference at anchor and I've yet to find a mask that allows me to do this. That old mask that allowed tailored holes would be perfect. I've searched the website with no luck....Im sick of using face paint and new tight fit masks that I have tried are too hot during early season.

Anyone remember what Im talking about and who made it?
My firiend uses an Under Armer face mask that is very tight fitting. I have a Cabelas Version that is OK. I hardly use it though. I'd still rather use powder makup (not face paint [:'(]).

Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the matching UA gloves, too, Mike. Again.....$30....but they lasted 2 seasons before I replaced them (just to have a backup pair....as I still use the originals). I wear them in ALL temps, here.....90+ on the high end to 14 on the low end. I haven't been bitten (though we don't have the uber-skeeters many have to deal with) through them, yet.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM

I could never spend that much on a facemask. Not to mention I hate that style mask. I found some at Walmart last year, very thin stretchy material, it is called a half mask...meaning you pull it up to wherever you want it. Wear a ballcap and pull it up over your nose and you wont even know its there.

This reminds me I need some more....Im goin to check today and if they have them I am buying the shelf of them to have...I love them. But I often loose facemasks as well as gloves for some reason.[&:] Went through 3 or 4 last season somehow.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use one of those all the time I love them
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, its spandofaluge. I have used spandoflauge quite a bit in the spring time and i do like it, but i have one complaint. It fades really quickly...you get about one season out of it before its almost grey. It would still work fine for deer hunting i suppose, but for turkey hunting it got too light colored for me.

I also have an under armour facemask and like Jeff said, they are pricey, but they are worth ever penny. Mine is a thicker mask that i love using November-January. My favorite part about that mask is that it blocks the wind like a champ. You can pull it all the way down the back of your neck and you dont have to feel that cold wind blowing on your face/neck!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I could never spend that much on a facemask. Not to mention I hate that style mask. I found some at Walmart last year, very thin stretchy material, it is called a half mask...meaning you pull it up to wherever you want it. Wear a ballcap and pull it up over your nose and you wont even know its there.

This reminds me I need some more....Im goin to check today and if they have them I am buying the shelf of them to have...I love them. But I often loose facemasks as well as gloves for some reason.[&:] Went through 3 or 4 last season somehow.
Thats whatI use too, and I too lost mine, I hope they stock them this year...