Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy. >

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

WOW!!! Now thats heavy!!
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Since when is a 480 gr arrow "Heavy"? LOL

Remember "back in the day" when most of us didn't have a clue what our 2315s with 125gr broadheads weighed.

If you wanna feel heavy (and some guys will tell you THESE don't even qualify as heavy) you should heft one of my 625gr recurve arrows. [:-] Feels like if you dropped it with it's 220gr Muzzy Phantom that it would stick you to the floor.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Since when is a 480 gr arrow "Heavy"? LOL

Remember "back in the day" when most of us didn't have a clue what our 2315s with 125gr broadheads weighed.

If you wanna feel heavy (and some guys will tell you THESE don't even qualify as heavy) you should heft one of my 625gr recurve arrows. [:-] Feels like if you dropped it with it's 220gr Muzzy Phantom that it would stick you to the floor.
I hope you knew what the broadhead weighed.[8D]
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 AM

Yeah, those are heavy. You're getting into weighing arrows in ounces instead of grains....

But compared to the 355 grain arrow I shot last year.....480 IS heavy. And it's 6.8 grains per pound of draw weight; how many guys shoot that anymore?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobow

Yeah, those are heavy. You're getting into weighing arrows in ounces instead of grains....

But compared to the 355 grain arrow I shot last year.....480 IS heavy. And it's 6.8 grains per pound of draw weight; how many guys shoot that anymore?
Mobow if you want a ten pager, you are going to have to start getting all the skirt wearing light arrow shooters all worked up
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: mobow

Mobow if you want a ten pager, you are going to have to start getting all the skirt wearing light arrow shooters all worked up
Hm, interesting. You mean by maybe suggesting that the reason some guys shoot really fast arrows is because they aren't any good at yardage estimation? Something like that? Or maybe by suggesting that it's not a skirt, it's a kilt?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like it[8D]
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a 25 3/4" 2317 XX78 523 grains at about 265 fps. It doesn't win the race but it hits like a mack truck! I will keep'em!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Heavy = penetration = kill. Most you are hunting deer so arrows edging up towards 500 gr from a 70 lb bow and a solid BH should obliterate anything it hits on a deer! Which is a good point because like Buckmaster says, you have greater margin for error with a heavy arrow arch and the chance for hitting a shoulder is greater.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me clue you to an old trick that I doubt many people know about in these days of light arrows, fast bows and flat trajectories. When you're lining up a 30+ yard shot on an animal and don't know if you're going to clear the limb out there in front of you, take a quick peek at your 20 pin. If the pin is under the obstruction, you're good to go.

That 20 pin will tell you pretty much what the high point of your trajectory is at the distance you're shooting.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Let me clue you to an old trick that I doubt many people know about in these days of light arrows, fast bows and flat trajectories. When you're lining up a 30+ yard shot on an animal and don't know if you're going to clear the limb out there in front of you, take a quick peek at your 20 pin. If the pin is under the obstruction, you're good to go.

That 20 pin will tell you pretty much what the high point of your trajectory is at the distance you're shooting.
That is a great tip, and I never new that

Quick Reply: Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.