Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Therma cell

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Therma cell

I swear by mine too. I dont know what i would do without it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe every turkey and bow hunter doesn't have one by now. I had one, now I have three. I can get them at a particular sporting goods store down the road from where I live for $14.99. I've been using one for years and I promise you, they work.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, you guys convinced me to go buy one at Bass Pro (not for 16.99 though[:@]) it was 21.99...anyway, the instructions say to lay it flat when in use....How do you guys use it in a treestand?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I strap it onto a close branch where it won't get in the way. You need to have the holster to do that. The holster sells for about $7.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I just lay mine on the foot part of the stand underneath me up against the tree where it's out of the way.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 AM

Peakrut:

How do you know is it not odorless? Does any one have any experiences with deer detecting an odor from the Therma cell??

I purchased one for turkey season, but I did not have any bad experiences with insects so I saved it for archery season...
Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

all the poeple i have talked to have said that deer seem to have no reaction to it. so i guess I' gonna be spending more money on the sprot i love.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

This might help:

The ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent utilizes the active ingredient known as allethrin. It belongs to a class of materials called pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogs of pyrethrin, which is a naturally occurring insecticide found in certain types of chrysanthemum known as pyrethrum flowers. Mosquitoes really do not like this material. The allethrin is contained in the blue mats, and when they are heated it causes the allethrin to "volatilize", which is similar to evaporation. The volatilized allethrin forms a zone of protection around the unit The amount of active ingredient that is released is small - not enough to kill mosquitoes, but enough to repel them. There is 0.018 oz. of active ingredient on a mat.

Because the repellent is a synthetic form of a natural flower and has the same scent properties, it does not alarm most wildlife. But it has been my experience to NOT get the unit too close to your face as the smoke is a potent irritant. Raw/sore throat, burning sensation in eyes, and chalky mouth from breathing it's vapor.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcraddock

This might help:

The ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent utilizes the active ingredient known as allethrin. It belongs to a class of materials called pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogs of pyrethrin, which is a naturally occurring insecticide found in certain types of chrysanthemum known as pyrethrum flowers. Mosquitoes really do not like this material. The allethrin is contained in the blue mats, and when they are heated it causes the allethrin to "volatilize", which is similar to evaporation. The volatilized allethrin forms a zone of protection around the unit The amount of active ingredient that is released is small - not enough to kill mosquitoes, but enough to repel them. There is 0.018 oz. of active ingredient on a mat.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. All I know is they do work and I have killed deer with them on.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never bowhunt early season without a Thermacell. I do think that it emits some kind of odor, but most people swear that deer can't smell it, or that it doesn't alarm them. If you play the wind and are high enough in the air, it shouldn't matter anyways. And it does keep the bugs off.