Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...) >

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Old 07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Not to argue - cause I don't see the point, but someone mentioned to me that "it's not about the kill, some people just love to hunt".

That is the exact reason I do hunt. I can back this up with eating my last three Illinois Non-resident tags ($1,200+ worth) - because I would rather eat my tag that kill an immature buck (cause it is as far from "the kill" to me as anything). I have most of the bucks that I passed on camera to enjoy them as much as I want by watching the encounters as often as I wish. I get more enjoyment from this than I would killing them. So - in other words - I agree with you.

Why do men climb Everest when they can more easily climb a 100 ft. hill in their backyard? Why do some men insist on shooting traditional archery when we have the greatest bow technology in the history of the world? Everyone has a different goal. To me, it's killing big bucks with a bow. To others it's any deer. The harder the goal, the greater the reward. This is true of anything really.

Regardless, ask any hunter who has killed "deer" with a bow, and deer with a gun - what was more exciting? I would bet you every cent in my bank account that "bow" will come-out on-top. Anyone want to take me up?

This is my last post on this topic because I've said how I feel and won't get into a you know what contest over such a non-important topic.

I killed 3 deer with my Bow last season and 1 with a rifle! The GUN kill was far more rewarding in any way shape or form than all 3 Bow kills combined, an amazing hunt! But then again I could care less what anyone hunts with, just hunt!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Well, for me, I have killed a few big bucks with gun and one really nice one with the bow, but not a giant like my gun kills and while I enjoyed those gun kills, I know in my heart that I wish everyone of them could have been bow kills, because I love bowhunting that much. I still hunt with a gun every year, but my heart is always with the bow. I have already explained why I still gun hunt, I enjoy hunting and in this part of Va when mid Nov hits so do the deer dogs, it puts an end to the bow hunting. But I do have a lease that will not see dogs this year and you bet your 8ss I will be there with a bow.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to argue - cause I don't see the point, but someone mentioned to me that "it's not about the kill, some people just love to hunt".

That is the exact reason I do hunt. I can back this up with eating my last three Illinois Non-resident tags ($1,200+ worth) - because I would rather eat my tag that kill an immature buck (cause it is as far from "the kill" to me as anything). Ihave most of the bucks that I passed on camera to enjoy themas much as I want by watching the encounters as often as I wish. I get more enjoyment from this than I would killing them. So - in other words - I agree with you.

Why do men climb Everest when they can more easily climb a100 ft.hill in their backyard? Why do some men insist on shooting traditional archery when we have the greatest bow technology in the history of the world? Everyone has a different goal. To me, it's killing big bucks with a bow. To others it's any deer.Theharder the goal, thegreater the reward. Thisistrue of anything really.

Regardless, ask any hunter who has killed "deer" with a bow, and deer with a gun - what was more exciting? I would bet you every cent in my bank account that "bow" will come-out on-top. Anyone want to take me up?

This is my last post on this topic because I've said how I feel and won't get into ayou know what contest over such a non-important topic.
I really don't see any reason why any one here has a point to arguing with Todd on what he says here. Its his opinion and its the way he looks at it, big freaking deal!! Some of you act as its either your way or the highway or the way of the "popular" norm. I respect Todd for what he said here, heck I agree with allot of what he said. Does that make me right or wrong? Nope, just an opinion like the rest of yours all are. All he did was answer the thread honestly in the way he looks at it, not in the way "everyone" else looks at it.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TG78

After posting my percentage rifle percentage bow question I started thinking about the saying of "once you make a bow kill on an animal you won't want to kill that same animal with a rifle". I know this is all personal opinion but I would still like to know how this crowd feels about something I hear muttered all the time.
To most REAL bowhunter I'm sure that's the way it is. In fact, when I see a big deer that someone has shot with a gun I think, why couldn't a bowhunter have gotten him. Or when I see these guys on TV shows hunting somewhere and then switch to a gun the last day or two to fill their tag I just shake my head and make a remark like, "He sold out. Wimp"!!! I gun hunt a couple days a year with some friends or family. I'll sit on watch and all the time I'm fingering or trying to find the release that isn't there. It just doesn't feel right. I've been bowhunting for38 years. Seems like it's been this ways for the last 25 or so years. Bowhunters rule. Gun hunters have fun too, but it's not my favorite fun time activity.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:09 PM

To me each (bowhunting/rifle hunting) has an aspect about them that make them enjoyable/better. The challenge and effort that it takes to harvest an animal with a bowis the memorable/enjoyable part forbowhunting. I grew up around only rifle hunting people, that's the only people that I have to enjoy the woods with is to go out withother rifle hunters. So getting to harvest an animal with someone else or watch someone close harvest an animal is the memorable/enjoyable partfor rifle hunting.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

That is the exact reason I do hunt. I can back this up with eating my last three Illinois Non-resident tags ($1,200+ worth) - because I would rather eat my tag that kill an immature buck (cause it is as far from "the kill" to me as anything). Ihave most of the bucks that I passed on camera to enjoy themas much as I want by watching the encounters as often as I wish. I get more enjoyment from this than I would killing them. So - in other words - I agree with you.

Why do men climb Everest when they can more easily climb a100 ft.hill in their backyard? Why do some men insist on shooting traditional archery when we have the greatest bow technology in the history of the world? Everyone has a different goal. To me, it's killing big bucks with a bow. To others it's any deer.Theharder the goal, thegreater the reward. Thisistrue of anything really.

This is my last post on this topic because I've said how I feel and won't get into ayou know what contest over such a non-important topic.
I really don't see any reason why any one here has a point to arguing with Todd on what he says here. Its his opinion and its the way he looks at it, big freaking deal!! Some of you act as its either your way or the highway or the way of the "popular" norm. I respect Todd for what he said here, heck I agree with allot of what he said. Does that make me right or wrong? Nope, just an opinion like the rest of yours all are. All he did was answer the thread honestly in the way he looks at it, not in the way "everyone" else looks at it.
Shultzy, I'm not arguing with Todd's opinion, his first paragraph is his opinion and that's fine with me. I may not agree with it but I'm also not arguing with him about it.

Now the paragraphs I made bold are not opinions but more on the lines of conjecture and speculation all given to bolster his argument that "The harder the goal, the greater the reward" He's not saying that's his OPINION he's giving a specific example to confirm that as a truth.

His last paragraph I made bold is pure bunk and again more speculation. He knows full well that if you ask most bow hunters (after all you are obviously a bow hunter if you killed a deer with a bow) what is more challenging what they are going to answer.

Again, I believe bow hunters (as a whole) are by far the biggest egotistical and elitist hunters I know, and it's statements like his that only add fuel to that fire.

He could have easily said something along the lines of "I think bow hunting is the most challenging and I think the harder the goal the greater the reward, and I think that's bow hunting" but he didn't and that's what I took offense to. Like it or not it's our responsibility to take hunting into the future and to sustain it for our children, at some point we will pass that torch to them. Making elitist statements like that will not help our cause only hurt it.

Maybe sometimes folks need to look at hunting from a greater perspective and not through the sight on their bow.

Undoubtedly that last statement will fly right over the heads of most like a F-117A Nighthawk.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with John on this.I am a bow hunter and I am proud of accomplishments with archery equipment but that doesn't make me superior to any other hunter who uses legal means to hunt.Their are so many variables that influence the difficulty of a hunt.If I go on a guided hunt where the outfitter has seen Mr. 160 class for 3 days in a row coming through the same area and he holds my hand and brings me in to the stand he has set and I kill that deer am I superior to the do it your self gun hunter who hikes 6 to 7 miles a day in the mountains and kills a fine animal?Whose the better hunter?You can't truly compare these things they are personal and there is no need to measure them.Just because someone bow hunts does not automatically make them a superior hunter.A good hunter is a good hunter regardless of the weapon of their choosing!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

I like guns too!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I like guns too!

Watch out Greg, someone stole all your trees!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of times you can't draw any comparison between gun & bow hunting other than the purpose is to kill a deer.

For my personal situation
Bow season-6 weeks, I bust my behind to spend as much time as I can hunting & I have the pre-rut that helps get old bucks up & moving. Medium hunting pressure on the deer.

Gun season-2 weeks and I typically spend 3 days of that actually hunting. Enormous pressure on the deer, seeing/shooting any buck is pretty much random chance, let alone trying to focus on a big one.

If one was hunting the exact same scenerios, & given a choice of "harder" weapon, yea the bow is going to be harder. But when 9 million other circumstances are factored in, like I said, it really can't be compared.

I went 10 years straight with a bowkilled buck.....in that same time I probably hunted 8-9 of those 10 gun seasons with only a doe tag. I may have seen 2-3 legal bucks to shoot at in that same time. Looks like I had a much "easier" time in bow season.

Quick Reply: How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.