Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...) >

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

I don't know how anyone could argue the point that sitting in a box blind killing an animal at 200 yards is as exciting as killing one from a treestand with a bow at 20 yards!

Kind-of like the arguement I hear from guys who say things like "I'm as happy killing a young buck as a mature buck" - my response, how many mature bucks have you killed?
Noteveryone sits in a ground blind and shoots deer at 200yds with a rifle.......Don't assume things. Try picking up an iron sightedshort barreled pistol and tell me how "easy" and "un-challenging" or "exciting" it is.

I'm also very happy to kill a young buck as I am an older buck....and I'vekilled PLENTY of mature whitetail deer in my life....plenty.

You like to bow hunt for mature deer and that's fine but don't "lump" everyone else who doesn't only do that into the "they don't know what their missing" or "they've never killed a mature deer" category.This may come as a surprise but their ARE folks who just love to hunt.

To each their own....what is "fun and exciting" to one guy might not do it for the next.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow or Rifle both should be satisfying to the hunter! Different variables involved in each endeavor.I enjoy both immensely and appreciate their differences.
I think the satisfaction is directly related to the effort put in and I have had many rifle kills that I have worked my butt off for,and some bow kills that have come very easily.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Well here in the South often we hunt with dogs and shotguns, buck shot that is!! It's a tradition and I still do it every year, it's been going on here in VA since 1600's , but I will be the first to say it does not compare to killing a deer with the bow, FOR ME....hunting with hounds and beagles is very exciting, you have to hear them run a deer before you can understand what it's all about. But, for me, I would gladly put the gun down to kill deer with the bow, only thing is, everywhere in South east Va dog hunting is allowed, and it pretty much kills the still hunting thing for the rest of the season unless you have property that never gets touched by dogs.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM

After 22 bowkilled deer, I'm not interested in hunting with a gun anymore. I've been bow only for several years.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well I'm seem to remember the bowkills more than the gunkills--I guess it that up close an personal thing.
But I just love to hunt an its kinda like Ben Lee Rodgers(started tinks 69) said when askedwhat was his favorite way to hunt---He said "All of the above,,And if they come out with A rockchunking season, I will be chunking Rocks"
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt the same way no matter the weapon in my hands, they are all trophies in my eyes! I could honestly care less what weapon anyone else hunts with!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started Bowhunting when I was in grade school, and after killing my 1st Deer with a Bow I never saw the need to join the orange Army. Bowhunting gives me liberal seasons and tags so I have all the opportunity to hunt I need. Someday I may Gun hunt to be able to hunt, but that day isn't here yet!

I always get a kick out of guys who will never take a Bow on an out of state hunt. There are plenty of them around here.

Is it they have no confidence? Or they just feel if they are hunting they must kill something?

Dan
Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,we are ordinarily on the same page with most things but in this instance I don't understand your comments.
Why do you get a kick out of someone who hunts with both bow and rifle going on out of state hunts with a rifle?
Why also is it an indication of a lack of confidence on the part of the traveling hunter?
I hunt in Idaho every year unguided with a rifle,I cover a lot of ground every day in a fairly low density deer herd.(it is not uncommon to go a day or two without seeing a deer)
Why should anyone here have to feel as if they havn't met your standards if they choose to hunt with a rifle?
To respond to the lack of confidence thing,I have shot many deer with a bow,I have shot a non baited bear with a bow,I have shot deer with a bow from the ground.I have nothing to prove to any one with a bow in my hands.
How myself or any one chooses to hunt provided it is legal is none of any one else's business.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have any problem with how anybody hunts either as long as it's legal.

Dan
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned

realize compounds are NOT bows, they're modern archery weapons - killing deer with compounds are vastly different than killing them with bows.

I know I know, that isn't a popular view, however, archery and bowhunting existed for thousands of years before wheels and pulleys and letoffs .... THAT was bowhunting and archery. Compounds were allowed and now, it seems like people think "bowhunting" and automatically envision a Mathews or Bowtech. There has been a turning point, that now bowhunting IS compounds, and recurve/longbows has been assigned "traditional archery"

Sorry, archery IS recurves and longbows. And there is an incredible difference in taking an animal with one of them vs taking one with a compound, not unlike taking a deer with compounds is a whole lot tougher than taking one with a rifle.

Acknowledgingdifficulty in differnt types of weapons isn't difficult, and its not bad, and its not divisive ......

Quick Reply: How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.