HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bow Sight Setup Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/252758-bow-sight-setup-question.html)

Pro-Line 07-14-2008 06:58 AM

Bow Sight Setup Question

I shot the same Pro-Line bow for nearly 20 years...3D as well as bowhunting. It was a LONG compound, but fit me perfectly and I shot it very well. That bow must have had 20 new strings put on it, but was a workhorse and served me well. Obviously I'm not one for buying new things, so since it wasn't broke...I didn't fix it.

Well, that bow had some wheel/cam problems last year, so I replaced it with a new Martin. It's half as long and half as heavy. I like that...but some other things have me confused.

The old bow was set at 65lbs. I was never into tuning...but it must have been close as I never had too much planing issue with broadheads. With that bow, I only ever lost 2 deer and one was a skin wound...the other a gut shot.

I had 3 pins on the old bow...20, 30, and 40.

I paper tuned the new bow and did the walk back tuning as well. I set the 20yd pin, and then backed up to 30. The 20 and 30 pin are so close that I don't think it's worth my while to put a 30 pin on the sight.

LONG story short. What pin configuration do you guys use? How many and at what yardages?

Most of my shots are inside 20 (because of years of hunting with a recurve) but some may be out to 35. (That's as far as I'm comfortable right now)

I thought about putting a 15 and a 30 pin on the bow, but is it really worth the effort?
I also thought about setting one pin at 25 and ONLY having that pin.

Any advice would be great.

GMMAT 07-14-2008 07:03 AM

RE: Bow Sight Setup Question

I shoot 5 pins on my compound.....ONLY because I like practicing at the extended yardages. The ones below the 30 are about as useless to me hunting as tits on a boar hog.

Even at 330fps, though....there was "some" pin gap between my 20 and 30. There's enough to make me feel like there's a "discernable" enough difference to have the two set.

If ALL I did was hunt with the bow.....I'd STILL have longer pins set to practice at extended yardages.

Just my .02

TexasBowHunter 07-14-2008 07:19 AM

I am in the same boat as GMAT, I shoot 5 pins 20, 30, 40, 50 , 60yds, as GMMAT said anything past 40 is just for practice and 3D.....I too have a small gap between the 20-30 pins but like he said it is worth having....

Pro-Line 07-14-2008 09:56 AM

Thanks guys. I shot a little this morning and did set up the 30yd pin, and it works fine. It's a small gap, but it is definitely worth it. I also put on 40 and 50yd pins for target...not hunting. I got them close, but not perfect yet. I'll do that in a little while.

Thanks again.

dstubb 07-14-2008 10:58 AM

I also shoot a Martin. I have a Trophy ridge sight with 3 vertical pins set at 20, 30 & 40 yards. I have pretty good space between them too. What Martin model are you shooting? I shoot a Jaguar that's a couple years old but will probably upgrade to the Bengal here soon.

Pro-Line 07-14-2008 12:10 PM

It's a Bengal. I shoot fairly short arrows (28" Carbon Express)...90gr Muzzy's (field pts right now) off of a whisker biscuit with a release. The bow is pulling about 67lbs.

The paper test was perfect...the walk back perfect...and now I can't hardly aim at the same place twice at 30yds because I don't feel like getting the Bitzenberger out right now...LOL

I hope things continue to go smoothly until Sept...LOL

dstubb 07-14-2008 01:48 PM

Maybe tuning the bow down to 60-63lbs. would slow the arrow enough to create a bigger gap between your pins. That's all i can think to try.