HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Realization that I don't know much about deer movement, inparticular big buck movement (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/252599-realization-i-dont-know-much-about-deer-movement-inparticular-big-buck-movement.html)

virginiashadow 07-12-2008 06:59 PM

Realization that I don't know much about deer movement, inparticular big buck movement

I took a long 5-6 mile hike back in deep in the forest I hunt. I explored, I took pictures, I compared what I was seeing on the map to what I believed I thought I knew about the area. I found two spots on the entire hike that I would hang a stand. Maye I am getting more picky about my stand sites, but in reality I really believe that I came to the realization today that I have ALOT of room for improvement in my pre-season scouting and overall understanding of deer movement, in particular big buck movement. I was kind of in a zone today, putting pieces of a puzzle together that has taken me months to "figure" out in one particular area I hunt. And that is just one spot. I am gonna get back at it on Thursday and do another clean sweep of another entire area I hunt, then not stepping foot back in there for another 3.5 months. MAN I have alot to learn.

Another reason I am thinking alot about this lately is I always hear people saying, "If I only lived in Illinois or Iowa then I would arrow a big buck". But in reality, you have to do the same legwork wherever you are, and if you don't understand big buck movement, then your chances of arrowing one greatly diminish. I'm not saying that living in those types of states would not improve my odds, they would, but in reality I need to learn and study alot more on the fine details of hunting mature bucks and seeing deer in general to have consistent success wherever I lived. I have gone on my instincts alot since I learned to hunt by myself, and really believe I didn't learn the basics of deer hunting. I have learned alot, but still need to go back to the basics to improve my overall hunting. It is like I skipped the "white belt" stage of hunting and missed out on learning some of the most vital/basic knowledge there is in the woods.

I told myself today I am again a "newbie". I am going to assume nothing, but am getting back to relearning and modifying some tactics I employ. I guess a long walk with beautiful terrain gets one thinking. ;)

Schultzy 07-12-2008 07:59 PM

RE: Realization that I don't know much about deer movement, inparticular big buck movement

Great post Brett! A walk in the woods can often open our eyes to what we've been doing in the past years of hunting. For some reason about 4 years ago the same thing happened to me. It was a real eye opener and it put me back on track to where I once was. Its good for reality to smack us in the face once in a while, it keeps us in check!;)

Mr. Finkelhiemer 07-12-2008 08:29 PM

RE: Realization that I don't know much about deer movement, inparticular big buck movement

Whoa! Alot of hunters can never admit that. I am honest to god impressed that you took that step forward, because with the amount of knowledge between some of the people on this website and information available in books as well you are already at table full of help and personal achievment. I too could never admit this until about three and a half years ago when my uncle introduced me to a world called tracking. Despite having bad eyes he was very good at finding deer and just about whatever he wanted to harvest. He was just the tip of the iceberg. He turned me on to something I hated to do for years, reading. LOL! He was convinced that if I would start using what was available to me in the library and learning how to track I would see more deer and put more meat in the freezer.

Two years after taking his advice and spending more time with him learning how to track has really improved my ability to consistently locate quality deer and deer herds, even when I am on a newproperty. One of the biggest tips he taught me was to find an area where there seems to be multiple amount of deer droppings that are fresh, a few days old, and just plain dried out. This is usaully a good sign. His number one was look for rubs on bigger trees. This was usually a place you want to kind stay clear of cause more than likely your bruzer is lying in the area, that is as long as it is a newer rub. His philosophy was find out what types of masts there were in the area if you hunt the mountains andtry and figure out which ones will drop when. Deer are big food opportunists.If I would hunt the farm I would always find a good area between the food and bedding area, near a good water source. I don't know if this helps, but I wish you luck this season.

I posted, "HuntingThrough Books", a few days ago to get some books. THe guys here repondedreally well. I would also pick up a book on tracking and at least attempt to learn some of what is available. This has made me a better hunter and helped me find more game in the last three years of my life.

Good luck Shadow!

Justin

virginiashadow 07-12-2008 08:34 PM

Since I started bowhunting 5 years ago, I have arrowed a 6 point, 2-7 pointers, and an 8 pointer. But in my 15 years of hunting I have never killed a mature buck...why is that? KNOWLEDGE in my opinion. Things are starting to come around, but my goodness I realized today that I have another decade of learning in front of me before I feel I can be a proficient hunter. Thank you for your posts Schultzy and Finkelhiemer--they are great.

jmbuckhunter 07-12-2008 08:41 PM

In my opinion you waited about 6 or 7 months to long to take your walk. You can learn a lot more by walking the woods in late winter after the season. Most of the sign from last year is still there to see, like scrapes and fresh rubs. The trails really stand out at this time too. And with the leaves off the trees the terrain features are easy to read as well.

That is the time of year I really learn a lot about my woods. Not a lot to see in the woods right now. I think the deer bed real close to their main food supply and jump right out into it come sundown.

virginiashadow 07-12-2008 08:46 PM

jmbuck--I have been scouting since January. Just looking over a new spot that I may or may not hunt this year...may just hunt it next year.

jmbuckhunter 07-12-2008 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

jmbuck--I have been scouting since January. Just looking over a new spot that I may or may not hunt this year...may just hunt it next year.
My bad, never a bad time to take a walk in the woods.:)

Hoyt_Viper 07-12-2008 10:02 PM

Good post Brett. I had some of the same thoughts today as well. There is a HUGE difference in this time of year in the woods than in the fall or winter. All of the signs that I saw last year, especially rubs, have healed and the foliage seems to make the area look like you have never been there before. Keep good notes of the "healed" rub lines from last year, because if he is still alive...he will be back!

The positives about scouting this time of year is the ability to find well used trails in taller grass, as well as bedding areas that are easier to spot (matted down grass, etc.). When I walked the property today, it all seemed new, probably because I did what you did and started from scratch. I looked for funnels, mature oaks, and even where the deer are crossing the creek. Last year my stand locations were in "amateur" sites compared to the knowledge of the land I have now. As I looked at where I had stands last year, they were not near the mature oaks that I noticed with the leaves that are on them now, and the trails that I saw in the green grass were non-existant in the fall.

With my knowledge I have now of the patterns from feeding to bedding I am at abetter advantage. I didnt get the opportunity last year to scout any of this landbecause I got permission to hunt it in early November, when the leaves were all gone and I had no clue at what directions they were coming or going in the mornings and afternoons.

I think another advantage I have this year is the food plots. It is definately a strategy that will allow me to know where they are getting their supplements to the ag fields that will be harvested by early fall.

keep up the good work, it will pay off and Im sure you will be able to credit it to the "big" "mature" buck you have learned to outsmart this season. Just be sure you get it done soon so you can get out of there a couple months before season. They always know when you are there or have been there recently.

virginiashadow 07-12-2008 10:50 PM

Hoyt, I did alot of those things today. Mainly I wanted a walking experience to certain parts of the area. I found a couple of tight saddles that had alot of healed up rubs from last year. I found about 8-10 rubs on similar size trees with the same height stretching for a good 500 yards or so. Nothing huge, but medium sized rubs with tine marks all over them.....has some potential. I found a ton of food still laid on the ground from last year. I am a little worried about the oaks dropping this year since I saw more acorns on the forest floor last year than I have ever seen before.