Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Metatarsal Gland >

Metatarsal Gland

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Metatarsal Gland

Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Metatarsal Gland

Has anyone heard of, or does remove the gland when field dressing? My uncle swears that it improves the taste of the harvest the quickerthey come off.

I have never done it, but someone else mentioned it to me today.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Metatarsal Gland

I have never removed them nor have I heard of anyone else doing it eithor.

If I were to do it I would wait until last so I don't use my knife on anything else
Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Metatarsal Glands These glands are a light tan colored circle of hair of about 1 2/3 inches in length located on the outside of the hind leg between the toe and the hock, or heel on whitetails. They are not actual glands, because they have no duct. Mule Deer exhibit the largest glands, then the Black-tailed Deer, and the White-tailed Deer. It has been suggested that blacktails open this gland when alarmed to express danger. It is not totally understood in whitetails, but I have seen it flared when two bucks fight.

I pulled this from another site
Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Metatarsal has no glandular activity to speak of on a whitetal.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Metatarsal Glands These glands are a light tan colored circle of hair of about 1 2/3 inches in length located on the outside of the hind leg between the toe and the hock, or heel on whitetails. They are not actual glands, because they have no duct. Mule Deer exhibit the largest glands, then the Black-tailed Deer, and the White-tailed Deer. It has been suggested that blacktails open this gland when alarmed to express danger. It is not totally understood in whitetails, but I have seen it flared when two bucks fight.

I pulled this from another site
This internet thing is cool. I just googled the subject and this is what I found on another site:

Whitetails possess many glands that allow them to produce scents, some of which are so potent they can be detected by the human nose. Three major glands are the orbital, tarsal, and metatarsal glands. Orbital glands are found on the head, and scent is deposited from them by rubbing the head, often the area around the eyes, on hanging twigs. The tarsal glands are found on the lower outside of each hind leg. Scent is deposited from these glands when deer walk through and rub against vegitation. The metatarsal glands, found on the inside "knee" of each hind leg, are the most potent.
During the breeding season, White-Tailed deer will rub-urinate, as process during which a deer sqats while urinating so that urine will run down the insides of the deer's legs. The deer then rubs its metatarsal glands together, rubbing the urine into the tuft of hair found at this location. Secretions from the metatarsal gland mix with the urine and bacteria to produce a strong smelling odor. Also in breeding season, does release hormones and pheremones that tell bucks the doe is in heat and able to breed.

Im betting there is some bacteria/odor that could possibly spoil some meat if this gland is anyway contacted with a dressed deer (dragging from woods,etc.) I always leave my gutpile where the animal drops (makes it lighter to carry and have heard that gutpiles will attract other dear) so if I puncture this gland, or it is in rut and is secreting this scent, it is very possible it could contaminate any meat that it comes in contact with.

Again, I have never hear of this before except from my uncle that swears by it. I always thought he was a kook and just did this because he was old school.

Does the quote I found change anyone elses opinion?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt,
That's a pretty good summary except the gland is nearer the HEEL, of the deer, not the knee, the knee is much higher up in the leg. Tarsal refers to the bones the comprise the "toes and ankles." As the the OP question, I always remove them(Tarsal Glands), at the end of the skinning job as I've always heard what you were told, not 100% sure if it's true on a doe, but I had some JERKY from a buck that didn't get his removed, and it tasty like a STANK RUT BUCK SMELLS!!!! The META-Tarsal gland is actually in the FOOT, or lower ankle if you will...

Metatarsal gland....

Tarsal Gland.....

Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

While skinningafter removing the tarsal glands to use in the future as a drag or attractant I am cutting the leg off at the knee joint.The meta tarsal gland should be a non issue.I have heard hunters talking about the need to remove the tarsal glands in order not to negatively effect the meat.I always remove them and have for a long time as said to use as an attractant.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard it both ways but have never seen the difference in results while removing or not removing the immediately.

The thing I can imagine is that you probably should handle the tarsal and then handle the meat. Leaving them in the woods with the inners could reduce the tarsal to meat contact from your hands however, caution taken while processing would be adequate. I can't imagine the actual tarsal tainting the meat on a cooling animal unless contact was made from the hands themselves.

Not sure tho, I haven't seen a problem either way.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt, I think the author of your post has the tarsal and metatarsal confused.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always remove the tarsal glands when I field dress deer. I have always been told it will taint the meat or make it "stinky" if not................I couldn't tell you if it's true or not.

As for he Metatarsal............i've never considered it.

Quick Reply: Metatarsal Gland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.