Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea >

Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

I am really having a hard time deciding on how serious I want to get into scent control this year especially with buying some new base layers. I am really really skeptical of the carbon thing simply because I believe it becomes saturated with scent very easily and even more important I think many recent studies have shown that a regular clothes dryer cannot even re-activate the carbon to begin with! On the other hand I really like the idea of the Silver impregnated clothing that actually kills odor causing bacteria and does not need to be re-activated. The idea is new enough in the hunting scene to keep me from being able to talk to many people who have used it or done studies on it. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with it or know of any reputable studies showing its effectiveness. It seems too good to be true but then again I am using a few items that at the time seemed a little too good to be true.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

TG78, every three years or so, I purchase a military NBC suit that is brand new on an online auction site. I usually pay about $15 for the whole suit and it seems to work fine. I hang the suit outside for a couple of days before starting to hunt and leave it hanging outside under a overhang every night during the season. I have had deer lay down and sleep under my stand or walk across my shooting lane with the wind at my back and have never been busted due to odor.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Af Hunter, I am not familiar with the "NBC" suit, does it use the silver idea.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

It stands for nuclear, biological, and chemical. It's widely used in the military. It is completely water proof, airtight, but its HOT! I have a scentlok hood and pants, but i have an x system long sleeve camo shirt and base layer pants.

The silver thing is not meant totrap in human odor, and not let it escape, like carbon is. It is designed so that odor causing bacteria cannot grow on your clothes, but your body odor can still escape.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it is a nuclear, biological, and chemical protection suit. It has carbon in it and protects soldiers from unlawful weapons of mass destruction. They do get hot if it is warm out, but I started using these years ago instead of buying expensive stuff like scent-lok. They do work though and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the other types of hunting apparel. And most of what you can get is camouflaged. Military surplus is great.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Oh, ok... Did the military use any special method to keep the charcoal active that you are aware of. How well does that suit breathe. Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silver nor Carbon will make a big enough difference that a whitetail won't smell you. Bloodhound type scent capabilities we're talking here!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silver nor Carbon will make a big enough difference that a whitetail won't smell you.
How do you know this if you've never used them?

Not trying to pick on you Todd.. just wondering if all your knowledge on the subject is heresy or first hand.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't the silver-impregnated stuff have to be in direct contact with the skin to get maximum scent elimination? That is - it kills the scent-producing microbes that live on the skin.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that it would work best if it was worn as the first layer, so as to ensure as much skin contact as possible?

Quick Reply: Silver impreg. clothing over Carbon I like the idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.