Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting 20 yards off my feeder >

Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Last year I hunted 20 yards off of my feeder with good success. However, I did some scouting last week and have found the deer highway they are using.

They cross a road head about 80 yards in hit my feeder and cross back. I'm think of setting up on the trail on the opposite side of the dirt road.My reasoning for doing this is they won't be as alert on their way to the feeder.

The only downside I see to this is they could hit the feeder and possiblygo another way. Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

I have never hunted off a feeder before. However, I do hunt food plots and one key that has really helped me to concentrate on travel routes leading to the food plot. I have found that I see a bunch of deer when hunting directly on the food plot, but a lot of times I do not see the mature bucks I am looking for. When I moved 100-200 yards off the food plot, I found I see more mature bucks and I think the reasoning is because the mature deer are not hitting the plot until after dark. Moving off the plot and concentrating on the travel routes between the bedding areas and the plot has allowed me to see the mature deer that are making their way to the plot, but would not reach the plot until after dark.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

I have never hunted off a feeder before. However, I do hunt food plots and one key that has really helped me to concentrate on travel routes leading to the food plot. I have found that I see a bunch of deer when hunting directly on the food plot, but a lot of times I do not see the mature bucks I am looking for. When I moved 100-200 yards off the food plot, I found I see more mature bucks and I think the reasoning is because the mature deer are not hitting the plot until after dark. Moving off the plot and concentrating on the travel routes between the bedding areas and the plot has allowed me to see the mature deer that are making their way to the plot, but would not reach the plot until after dark.
Great advice!! I'm going to move off of the feeder this yearin hopes of seeing more deer. I am going to head 150 yards back hoping the deer will be at least headed to the feeder before dark.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was good advice, I have grown up hunting Texas where feeders are the thing. When I got into bowhunting I did the same, hunted the feeders but I have learned that your mature deer will not come into the feeders as often as the rest of the deer, they tend to wait outside the feed area and then catch back up to the does.....Kickin Buck and my experiences are the exact same...Good Luck!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome points! Thanks Droptine.

IMHO, strategies like that are the differences between taking a decent buck and a monster.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just dont understand..
Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

We had someone shoot a damn fine buck with a feeder in the background ....very early int he contest.

You just never know.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We had someone shoot a damn fine buck with a feeder in the background ....very early int he contest.

You just never know.
I remember that one, his trial camera took a picture just as the arrow hit the buck. Is that the one you are referencing?

Quick Reply: Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.