Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting 20 yards off my feeder >

Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting 20 yards off my feeder

Thats kinda like bobbing for apples without the water aint it...
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I remember that one, his trial camera took a picture just as the arrow hit the buck. Is that the one you are referencing?
That's the one....

Interesting article on baiting in the latest D&DH. You'd think it was easier to kill them over bait, wouldn't ya? Study in SC last year says WAY different.

Food for thought (no pun intended).
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I have always heard older hunters say that by feeding with feeders, or using food plots, the deer develope FBS, Full Belly Syndrome. They fill up in one spot and go lay up till its time to eat again, which more than likely is at night. But if they have to get out and hustle for browse or acorns they are more apt to move during the day because food is scattered.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always heard older hunters say that by feeding with feeders, or using food plots, the deer develope FBS, Full Belly Syndrome. They fill up in one spot and go lay up till its time to eat again, which more than likely is at night. But if they have to get out and hustle for browse or acorns they are more apt to move during the day because food is scattered.
I used to feed over 100#'s a week. I've NEVER seen a deer stand at a feeder for more than 2-3 minutes. I used to think they'd stay there until the food was gone.....but when other sources of food are available.....their natural browsing tendencies get the better of them.....and they move on.

Now I'll admit.....if your feeder is broadcasting over a large area.....they might browse through the feed at a slower pace. But from what I've witnessed, first-hand.....they don't stay at them for extended periods of time.

That's just been MY experience with feeders and deer. Results may vary.