Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Genetics are least important factor >

Deer Genetics are least important factor

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Genetics are least important factor

Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Genetics are least important factor

Okay, so I have been reading this book by Kathy Etling called hunting Superbucks. In the book he says that the genetics are the least important thing when it comes to antler size. This isn't the first time I have heard it, and I was wondering if this is true.

If it is true, how long does it take with proper feeding and mineral licks to get a deer to its full potential? I mean, if you can throw the genetics thing out the window then hypothetically anyone who gives their herd proper feeding and minerals should be able to produce big deer, right?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Genetics are least important factor

From everything I've read genetics are least important because you can't really change/control the genetics of a free ranging herd. And in most areas of the country very few bucks reach an age where thier truy genetics can show. Which I think most say is 5.5 years old. Give them good food, and let them live nad for the most part they will get big.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Genetics are least important factor

Thats what, kind of what I have come to the conclusion of too!!!! I feel it takes a5 1/2 year old deer to reach full maturity and be the best antlered animal THAT HE CAN BE. I don't thinkevery deer can be a monster even with the proper nutrition his whole life, I believe that each individual animal has a maximum antler growth that HE can attain....Just what runs through my little pea brain anyway...
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]