Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Carbon Express Maxima VS. Easton Axis >

Carbon Express Maxima VS. Easton Axis

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Express Maxima VS. Easton Axis

Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carbon Express Maxima VS. Easton Axis

I'm thinking of either getting the Carbon Express Maxima or the Easton Axis for hunting this fall. Which one of these would you recommend? And Also would it be possible for some one to tell me which spine I should be using for the Maximas???

Here's my setup:
Diamond Marquis 60#
28" draw mod installed
I want to be shooting an arrow above 400 grains.
100 grain BH

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carbon Express Maxima VS. Easton Axis

Maxima will only get you above that weight possibly with a 125gr head and heavy vanes........

Decide on a exact finished arrow weight you want (I'd go one step further and figure out first what SPEED I want to be shooting which will tell me what arrow weight I need to acheive it)

After you decide which arrow weight you want check out the manufacturers websites and see what the "Grains per Inch" of each shaft in your spine range is.
This will give you the necessary information you need to decide what the finished arrow weight will come out to with various components.

With a little research you'll have the:
Shaft Weight
Insert Weight
Nock Weight

Combine those with the desired broadhead weight, arrow length and fletching choice and you should be able to make a +/- 5gr educated guess on TOTAL FINISHED ARROW WEIGHT.

(You should off the top of my head be shooting 250 Maximas, but check their chart, you are way below my specs so I don't study them much)
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Maxima will only get you above that weight possibly with a 125gr head and heavy vanes........

Decide on a exact finished arrow weight you want (I'd go one step further and figure out first what SPEED I want to be shooting which will tell me what arrow weight I need to acheive it)

After you decide which arrow weight you want check out the manufacturers websites and see what the "Grains per Inch" of each shaft in your spine range is.
This will give you the necessary information you need to decide what the finished arrow weight will come out to with various components.

With a little research you'll have the:
Shaft Weight
Insert Weight
Nock Weight

Combine those with the desired broadhead weight, arrow length and fletching choice and you should be able to make a +/- 5gr educated guess on TOTAL FINISHED ARROW WEIGHT.

(You should off the top of my head be shooting 250 Maximas, but check their chart, you are way below my specs so I don't study them much)
I couldn't find their chart.

Edit: found it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK i have one more question. What's the difference between the Maxima & Maxima Hunter????
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM

I shoot the Axis Nano and love them but have little experience with others; my local pro shop owner on the other hand has been bowhunting and has owned his shop for 30 years now and he absolutely loves the nano and has extensive experience with many makes and models. He did not have to talk me into them fore very long. You cannot go wrong with either though for quality.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maxima HUnters have the "Built in Weight Forward" technology with the wrap of Buff Tuff camo up from on the arrow.
The shafts will be a little heavier than plain Maximas or 3D selects and if you want 400gr+ they will be your most likely choice from the carbon express line in a premium shaft unless you want to drop $200 on the new Kevlar Aramids.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get really good results with the axis arrows out of my set up but im not sure how they would work for yours....
Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

would these fit in the Carbon Express Hunter?? http://www.3riversarchery.com/Produc...57&i=0255#full

Edit: Did some reasearch and found out they will work.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really care much how fast I shoot for hunting.. i rather have a heavy and quiet setup instead of fast.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Something else I might add is that the Eastons are made in the good old USA and the Carbon Express are NOT.