Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Post up you ATV/UTV... >

Post up you ATV/UTV...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post up you ATV/UTV...

Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Post up you ATV/UTV...

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Transportation:

Motorized vehicals.... how unsporting. Jesus walked to Eygpt and back, I can handle making it 300 yards from the truck to the stand. And I'll bet it won't take me very long either.

What the hell is point of all this anti-scent stuff if you are just going to hop into a gasoline powered golfcart with 700ccs and haul ass out to your tree stand? Why not take a bong hit and wear a garlic necklace while blasting Bob Marley? It never made any sense to me...
Do you walk to your hunting areas from your house?

Keep in mind that everyones situation is not the same as yours. Is it unsporting for someone with a bad leg to access a hunting area with a quad? What if your stand wasn't 300 yds? how about if it was a mile? What if the only access to a hunting area is via a quad trail?
I can understand your thought process and I put on many, many miles on foot each season. I also see that there is a place for quads in todays hunting.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My new Can Am I got this spring.

One of my Hondas:

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

SwampCollie

Ask Germ how close to my hunting spot you would be if you were only to walk 300 yards.

We rodeabout a mile and then walked another 500 or so.AND,we didn't even get to the other side of the farm.We don't necessarily have to ride that far but we ride to the farm as well.

And,some of us enjoy riding them for pleasure as well.

Remember,your conditions are not everyones conditions.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 4 wheelers are for farming/ranching, and I use them for retrieving downed game in hard to access areas, and for coyote calling out west. They don't see a whole lot of hunting activity. Also I use them for hauling out goose decoys in wet fields where farmers don't want pickups being drove. Where I live its so flat that a deer can see you for 7 miles coming with anything your driving. lol

Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

My new Can Am I got this spring.

One of my Hondas:

I wish mine was camo![&o]
Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought mine as a left over, so color wasn't an option.
However the color blends in with the blood from haulin' gutted deer, so I spend less time cleaning!!!
I new I had something in common with you Magic? Mines the precursor to the Can-Am.... Bomardier 400.
I want to upgrade to the 500 Camo, but the wife says she gets a new PWC before I get another toy!
Final answer, she wins, but I get to go huntin'!

The one pic is of my huntin' buddy's.

The other is minutes before running up the side of a mtn. where I rolled it over on myself.
Stupid! - The only time I didn't where my helmet and was damn lucky.
I ripped my brand new Benelli shotgun off the holder with my shins and handle bar getting caught between them.
Now it has character!

2nd below
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

2nd

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Do you walk to your hunting areas from your house?

Keep in mind that everyones situation is not the same as yours. Is it unsporting for someone with a bad leg to access a hunting area with a quad? What if your stand wasn't 300 yds? how about if it was a mile? What if the only access to a hunting area is via a quad trail?
I can understand your thought process and I put on many, many miles on foot each season. I also see that there is a place for quads in todays hunting.
Oh I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for one.

I drive my vehical to the hunt club, and then to the edge of the property and walk from there.

A mile... hell. Leave 15 minutes earlier and don't wear your jacket in.

If the only access I have to a hunting area is via quad trail.... then I'd certainly appreciate them clearing a nice surface for me to walk on. Believe you me... I can walk places that a quad cannot go.

Honestly, the only time I can think having something like a golf cart or some such would be really useful is for dragging out a deer. But even then, a quad couldn't go anyplace that my truck cannot. Not in my part of the world. Even with one, I'd still have to drag the deer to the edge of the field, then just take the quad around the side access road to where I pulled it out. The difference being my truck has lots of dry storage, tons more cargo room, and whole lot more horsepower.

By and large most of the folks that use them around here use them just simply because they WANT to. And thats cool with me, just don't use them during hunting season. You can hear them coming a mile away. We let a couple folks in on our lease several years ago (lease is now gone thanks to them) who insisted on using a 4-wheeler during the 3/4 mile walk back to the main logging skidderdeck where the sign-in board was. It was only a 230 acre track, and you had to drive through almost 1/2 of it just to get there. One mainroad only.... the rule was you could drive in ONLY if you were removing a deer. I got one word for those dudes....LAZY!

As for guys with bad legs and so forth, thats a different matter. I think they are a blessing for guys who otherwise couldn't have hunting access, and a lot of thenewer motorized chairs and so forth are great for handicapped and disabled hunters.

Those little electric jobs though..... now they are something to consider.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

But even then, a quad couldn't go anyplace that my truck cannot.
I have an ATV..........a Toyota Tundra....A GMC Yukon.....and Jeep Wrangler.

What kinda thruck do YOU have?....lol My ATV goes places my vehicles wouldn't dare even attempt.

I've got a buddy who drives one of those new 550 series Mercedes Benz. I don't begrudge him how hegets to work....even though I choose to take a different mode of transportation.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ATV goes places my vehicles wouldn't dare even attempt.
Kinda what I was thinking.

There are numerous places in the hills of WV that an ATV will go that a truck will not........Not too much flat land here.

I

Quick Reply: Post up you ATV/UTV...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.