Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do you hunt public land? >

Why do you hunt public land?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you hunt public land?

Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do you hunt public land?

So this guy was trespassing, EI? How does that work?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Spike

I would hunt in a private hunt club if I could afford one and I could find one that truely believed in quality wilderness resource management. Most hunt clubs near here(Glen Saint Mary, Fl.) want $1000-2000 a member. They also don't take members until June normally meaning you miss your chance at planting a good summer plot[] to give the deer the nutrition they need to feed the fawns and grow some good antlers. We are also kind of blessed in that we have the Osceola Wildlife Management Area within 20 minutes of the house and it is 266,270 acres. The only problem with it is that you are not supposed to introduce non-native plants to the woods[&:], no Biologic, Antler King Honey Hole, etc.. So, if you want to do a plot you have to do your research on native plants that deer will eat and will give them the nutrition they need. Here is a tip my father and I use down here in the WMA :
Don't put out marker tape unless you want to draw in every Joe Blow who has never hunted before or is to lazy to do there own scouting.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So this guy was trespassing, EI? How does that work?
Not trespassing, just in my immediate hunting area, and not stealing my trail cam!I'm just saying he was being good.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of reasons actually.In my area it is quite difficult to gain permission to hunt private land and the pieces that you can gain access on are not very big,so in most instances you cannot hunt a deers entire daily pattern.I am in the catskills in NY and we have a tremendous amount of public land.The deer densities are not great but there is plenty of room to roam.The big woods is more conducive to rifle hunting in my opinion but that's where the biggest bucks in our area get killed.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I lost my lease when I joined the Army. I hunt it because it is a 60,000 acre tract at one, and roughly 43,000 acre tract at the other, less than an hour from my house. There is a good deal of hunting pressure, but with that much land, and the fact that it is mainly swamp, makes it easy to get away from other hunters.

As long as I stay away from the open gun days, I've never had someone walk up on my stand.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I was out doing some scouting on private land this morning near where I shot a nice 8 point 2 years ago. Last year I saw NO deer from that tree in 3 sits. Today I got digging around near it and found a ladder stand with a camera tripod strapped to it. No wonder I didn't see anything last year. The guy was cutting me off. LOL He was hanging out in the open exposed as all heck in my opinion. He put his stand 5 feet from the major trail. LOL I got to believe he's a gun hunter. I climbed up in his stand and looked around, definitely nota bow hunter.[8D] I moved about 400 yards away and found some good sign and some great climber trees and some spots for hang on. As far as I knew, I'm the only one hunting in there. I think he's the guy that owns the land next door. He just thought the grass was greener across the line I guess. I'm not worrying about him. It's a chunk of woods a mile long from one property line to the other end. Maybe he'll push some deer my way. LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt private land here right at my house but it all consist of small patches of land,40 here or 80 there.When I want to hunt the big woods I would go to a federal wildlife refuge in TENSAS Parish,really big woods,but imo the deer numbers are low for the carrying capacity of the land,with that said there are some truly big bucks on the refuge but it's not easy to pin them down,hunting preasure is not that bad in some areas but are in some.The main reason I don't hunt it much anymore is the lack of deer sightings,but the one thing that keeps me going back is that the first deer you see could be a trophy in anyone's book.The gun hunts are by lottery only and I believe only 2 weekends a year plus a few days of muzzleloaders the rest of the time is bow only.There are some really nic bucks on this place,but you just don't see many deer,which can make for some very long hours on the stand.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard somewhere Mr. Longbeard hunts public land. [:-]
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kansas has a vast public land map that is generally under utilized during bow season.... and there are some really big deer on it.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I heard somewhere Mr. Longbeard hunts public land. [:-]
As long as it's close to grade A private land[:-][:-]

Quick Reply: Why do you hunt public land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.