HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I finally did it (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/251586-i-finally-did.html)

sandilands 07-04-2008 10:38 PM

I finally did it

Well today I finally did it. My previous max range was 20yds and has been for yrs b/c thats as far as I practice. Today I got adventurous! I was out scouting with some friends and we all brought our bows...... I brought my cabela's block target and my buddy brought his 3D deer. I moved back to 30yds and had tennis ball size goups...... then back to 40yds and low and behold a softball size group. THEN I went back to 50yds and just didn't feel comfortable...... groups ran 6" or so but it felt like I was lobbing arrows in. I feel confident in my bow and my shooting ability...... its a great feeling. :)
I am currently shooting a Bowtech Tomkat at 60lbs with a 420gr arrow(total arrow wgt) with slick tricks. Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow? I like my arrow weight for hunting so I want to stick to it.[:-]I understand alot would change with shooting a higher draw weight but a little help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

OHbowhntr 07-04-2008 11:10 PM

RE: I finally did it

Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow?
Depends on how comfortable you are shooting 70#'s really. Sure, you'll be a little faster, and you'l have a little more power/energy, but if you can't hold it all steadya, then you'd be just as well served dropping dwn to 50#.

907Alaska 07-05-2008 02:35 AM

Normally I would do all of my prcatice at 25 yrds, due to the fact my backyard range was 25 yrds, so many hours was spent at 25yrds, but about 3 years ago we moved, and that backyard range increased to 45 yrds...at first practicing at 45 was a little strange for me, since most of my hunting shots on hogs and bears was under 25 or 30yrds, but this is what I end up with today consistently with all 3 of my bows, in the pic this is done with my Bear Instinct (today). The old saying "practice makes perfect" or better in my case holds true...and keep in mind I accomplished this alot faster when I droped my bow weight, the Instinct used to top out at about 73#, now I have it down to 65#, the other two bows I have at 60# now with the same results.

TexasBowHunter 07-05-2008 02:11 PM

I prefer to practice at farther ranges, I feel it amplifies any problemsI may be havingin my form. I like the fact that ifI practice 30-50yds it makes theshots inside of 30ydsbetter...Kinda goes along with the aim small miss small policy!!!

MeanV2 07-05-2008 02:24 PM

I am able to practice out to 80 yards at home.

I feel practicing at long ranges is a definite advantage regardless of where you set your maximum range for Hunting.

Dan

hmthtrfan 07-05-2008 04:47 PM

x2

the futher out you can practice and fell good out it, the better you will be at 20-40 yards.

IL-Cornfed 07-05-2008 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: sandilands
Would my 50 yd shooting improve if I switched to a 70lb bow?
NO it wouldn't, you'd only get tired and even more unsteady.... faster. :D

Better shooting at longer ranges only comes with more practice and refingin form and follw through. more poundage isn't the answer.

blackjeep04 07-05-2008 04:52 PM

x3 I shoot 40 -50 yds regular which makes my 10 -30yds a no brainer. I feel confident in the deer stand every time.

Huntinman23 07-05-2008 08:39 PM

[align=left]if i ever practice from long distances it is usually from 40-45 yards i never like to but i do sometimes do it just in case a time ever comes along...
[/align][align=left] [/align]