Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Barometer >

Big Buck Barometer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Barometer

Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Barometer

YOU MUST HAVE BEEN DROPED ON YOU HEAD WHEN YOU WERE A BABY MUST BE DAIN BRAMAGE.Surely your not suggesting that location could be a factor in the success of a hunter who kills 150" class deer,could you? I mean of all the gall to suggest that all those super hunters on tv could come to your woods and not kill all the 150" class deer that you obviously arn't a good enough hunter to kill.You have got to be kidding right.I mean my phone rings off the hook ,because the drury boys want to film a trophy hunt in my 40.OH wait my bad that was the dirty boys from up the road.Ok to answer your question a whopper here would be a 140" class deer,you may even be hailed as a legend,115-130 is a good buck here where I hunt.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

ORIGINAL: Germ

What I have said is there is a cost and it's differnet in every state, location.
I agree 100% however, and this eludes to what I posted a few pages back. I suggest that the "cost" meaning the time and energy needed to kill a P&Y buck in PAexceeds what is needed to kill one here in Illinois. Substitute P&Y for B&C and the task in PA FAR exceeds the one in Illinois (or any other big buck state) to the point where most who decree "you need to put more time in, move, etc..." would probably give up themselves and move to a better state. As stated so eloquently by Matt / PA "You can get blood from a stone but by God you have to squeeze the ever loving crap out of it and it might take 23 years to see a drop."
John I truly think we agree As I said 100 times harder in PA.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im lucky to live in the midwest and yes, we do have Big deer/bucks. Just last summer before the EHD hit my area Me my son and several buddys were watching some absolute giants via spotlight. Im talking one was possable Booner material and i have him on film but most were in an area about five miles away from my house we couldnt hunt. My buddy got some slammers on cam last year also. After the EHD came some guys i know started turning up these bucks dead in that area, and one was in the 190's and another just under that[&o]My son and i turned up quite a few dead ones in MY area as well from 120's- 150". I have killed one that went 155 net in my area also, so i have a real good idea that they ARE there Here isa pic of a double dropperin the other area i talked about that was NOT found deadand im hoping he is still out there even though i cant hunt him.

some sheds from my area, grossed low 180's

game cams from last year

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Statistical Anomaly 9/07
R.I.P.

But if anyone thinks that the fact that me and my statistical anomaly were in the same place at the same time was also an anomaly you'd be mistaken.
What I find intersting is that I seem to get a "vibe" from here that because some of us in underprivilaged areas don't kill big bucks like that regularly we're somehow not looking hard enough?
LOL I find it almost comical sometimes to read some of it...........
I understand what you are saying but in the same spirit I find it comical when those hunters in underprivileged areas consider a representative deer a trophy. It seems that they also believe if you are in a "large buck" area that they are behind every tree.

I recognize the relativity of different areas. I have killed 3 Pope and Young, probably 4 but I never bothered to measure one that could be borderline. But none officially scored over 135".

So what, by spending lots of hours and days hunting throughout a 90 day season, I willsee at least a coupleof bucks per season in the 125-135" range.

Not very often, but routine in the sense that if I put in the time and hunt smart, eventually I will have a few encounters with these type deer, most likely 3.5 yo and maybe a few 4.5 yo as well.

Yes, they are representative of my area and 95%+ of all my other buck sigthings are much smaller, but for the simple fact that I can and will eventually see one during the season, they are not trophies, at least IMO.

A trophy IMO, for my area would be at least 140" if not 150". Why? Because while I have never seen a deer that sizewhile out hunting, I have found one dead, a couple of sheds, and one on a trail camera one time and one time only. So I know they are there at least on occasion or particular years.

By my definition, a 110" may be a trophy in some areas and a 160" may not. Unfortunately, the 160" will always be given the benefit of the doubt while the 110" will be viewed with cynicism.

Paraprhasing an earlier post by GMMAT went something along the line that if you are routinely killing representative deer in your area you should be proud. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but does that alone constitute "trophy" status?

Where I differentiate is that I am routinely killing representative deer in my area and while I might be proud of that, I am not satisfied because I know a few, mind you a few, lurk in the area at least every couple of years if not all the time.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I understand what you are saying but in the same spirit I find it comical when those hunters in underprivileged areas consider a representative deer a trophy.
You know, jack.....that's about the most stupid thing I've seen someone admit to feelingon here in quite a while.

So, now....you can presumably determine everyone's "trophy"?

Amazing......simply amazing

EDIT** - And here's MY quote (from this thread)....noting you left out a VERY important word. I'll highlight it.

If you're taking the best representative deer your woods have to offer.....on a consistent basis.......then you should be proud.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its anything like last year....I'll see over 500 deer in the fall...I'll take 2 does with bow...a doe with gun...and maybekill with BOW..a95 - 110 8 to 10 point with a 14 - 16 inch spread...but its good for me...

Golden Triangle? I was looking at them...180? WOW!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

I understand what you are saying but in the same spirit I find it comical when those hunters in underprivileged areas consider a representative deer a trophy. [/blockquote]

You know, jack.....that's about the most stupid thing I've seen someone admit to feelingon here in quite a while.

So, now....you can presumably determine everyone's "trophy"?

Amazing......simply amazing
If you're taking the best representative deer your woods have to offer.....on a consistent basis.......then you should be proud.

I want to kill the best represntative deer every year (or so) from my woods.

If you think that you (or anyone) are killing the BEST REPRESENTATIVE DEER an area has to offer on a CONSISTENT basis, that they can be killed every year (or so), then what I said in an earlier post holds true, your deer are REALLY, REALLY stupid.

But then again that is coming from me and as Forest says "Stupid is as Stupid does."
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If you think that you killing the BEST an area has to offer on a CONSISTENT basis, that you can kill them every year (or so), then what I said in an earlier post holds true, your deer are REALLY, REALLY stupid.
You still wanna change it around. I said best representative deer.

I guess the guys who get it done every year are hunting some real dumbass deer.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any deer that hang around a playground have to be smart.

J/K J/K
Old 07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I edited my last post so as to not take anyone out of text.
From my perspective,themeaning/interpretation is still the same.

Quick Reply: Big Buck Barometer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.