Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover Scent for Illinois? >

Cover Scent for Illinois?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover Scent for Illinois?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cover Scent for Illinois?

I'm taking my first trip to Illinois this fall, and will be hunting from October 25 through November 1. I was wondering what you guys and gals that get to hunt these big bucks on a regular basis use as a cover scent, or if you use any at all? I have used the Fall Blend type scents for years here in MD, but we don't have the kind of deer I'm going after. Our bucks are lucky to make it to 3 yrs. old, and even then they're scrubby compared to what most consider a wallhanger.

Obviously I'll be using a scent elimator spray in conjunction with any cover scent.[/align][/align]
Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Cover Scent for Illinois?

I LIKE VANILLA JUST VANILLA
Old 06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: M.R. Bucks

I LIKE VANILLA JUST VANILLA
A buddy of mine hunted with Vanilla Killa years ago. I don't know if many people use that anymore. Something to think about though.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

earth or cedar, add cedar to the poll, and apple, I only use earth or cedar, mostly earth.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're coming to Illinois, I'd suggest gasoline, cigarette smoke or Tide laundry detergent..

[8D]

(Seriously, the earth scent formulas have always seemed to work extremely well for me...)
Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

None, use the wind and remain scent free as possible.

Do you really think anything you can pack in the woods (scent wise) is natural to a Wild Animal?

Dan
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

None, use the wind and remain scent free as possible.

Do you really think anything you can pack in the woods (scent wise) is natural to a Wild Animal?

Dan
I agree that it is not possible to "cover" your scent from a deer's nose. It will simply smell the cover scent AND your scent if you are not down wind of the animal.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

I like to use earth cover scent or nothing at all.It smells like fresh dirt from the forest floor and IMO does not alert deer.You definately dont want to use skunk because that is a defensive scent they put out that may alert deer of danger.Play the wind it is amazing how much you can get away with.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 PM

My philosophy is to smell as much like nothing as I can. If they can smell the "cover" scent...yer already busted. Deer are like dogs, they can distinguish many different odors at one time. When I was in the fire service, we had some training w/ tracking dogs and accelerant sniffing dogs......They told us that if someone were to put a Big Mac in front of us, weas humans smell...a Big Mac. A dog smells beef, lettuce, onion, pickle, sauce, poppy seed, flour, salt....and can distinguish between them all.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the earth scent or unscented sprays.

Quick Reply: Cover Scent for Illinois?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.