Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you struggle with more as a bowhunter? >

What do you struggle with more as a bowhunter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you struggle with more as a bowhunter?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you struggle with more as a bowhunter?

Well,
"The Whitetail Deer". Call them dumb, call them curious, call them whatever you want, but one day, the biggest one you ever saw will turn you into a babbling fool.
LT
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Envy for sure, both for better hunting ground opportunities and for my first deer period. I have hunted rifle since legal age of 12 and have yet to get my deer, actually last year was my first opportunity (29) and both times he presented an unethical shot. I am glad that I was able to resist the temptation but I will always hold myself to a high ethical standard especially having hunted with some complete savages. I do not have envy for the racks as I am a meat hunter but would not mind it if a nice set came into my sight, be it rifle or bow. As a note just because I envy the hunters that are extremely successful I do not wish that their animal was instead on my wall, just I would like some of the same opportunities.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not exactly prone to either one. Hunting is a very personal thing to me, and I'm usually pretty happy to share or see others succeed... so I can't color myself envious.

Arrogance I suppose I'm more guilty of.... not really from a standpoint of I'm better than you, but I was just thinking about this earlier today..... its been 12 years now since I shot a buck. I've probably shot close to 100 does in that 12 year gap, but just haven't had the right deer at the right range at the right time. I am extremely picky when it comes to bucks.... EXTREMELY. There are plenty of deer that I could have shot and been totally "justified" from a trophy management standpoint in doing so.... but I guess I just haven't found the "right one." So, you could say that because I'm arrogant and will only shoot BIG bucks.... thats why I haven't shot one in 12 seasons.... not that I particularly care... but I think I'm about due.... and I may really devote myself to it this fall.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

None of the above. The only thing I struggle with is killing a MONSTER. My day WILL come because I'm a very patient hunter.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably envy if I had to pick, although I am always afraid of coming off arrogant.

On the envy side:
Some people on here talk about hunting pressured lands, but they have NO idea what some really pressured places can be like. Throw in those who hunt places where the potential to see multiple mature bucks a season (sometimes an outing) is common, and that BLOWS MY MIND. Some people see more mature bucks while on stand, than I see riding around all summer with a spotlight. Oh how I wished I lived/hunted a place like that. But don’t get me wrong, its not like I sit around and mope about it or anything.

Because I have been fortunate enough to have above average success compared to a lot of people I know, sometimes I feel bad sharing the stories of that success. I’m still as excited as can be about it, but I don’t like making it seem like I am bragging. So I have a tough time telling my stories without trying to brag.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM

I would have to say envy. There are a lot of people that see numerous deer (even large bucks). I'm lucky if I see 10-20 deer (with most of them being does)on stand in a season, let alone have a shot opportunity at any of them. The numbers around here aren't all that great. But at the same time I am happy for all the hunters who are able to have that success.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Swamp Collie,

I can really understand where you are coming from on your last post. That probably comes as close to my feelings as anything I have read on here.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have envied other hunters, wishing to have a spot to hunt that might produce a big buck. I got tired of feeling that way. I had to make some changes due to losing my lease so I went out and found the kind of land I coveted. It doesn't mean I'll kill a big buck. I've only been bowhunting for 3 years. They have been relativly successful years but thats just not a lot of experience. I do however have a much better chance to kill that bruiser this year than ever before. No more envy. Now its up to me to stop the wishful thinking and get the job done.

EDIT: I do not envy the success of others, I celebrate it. My envy was for the opportunity.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Im guilty of being envious
+1

I'm envious of people who have more time to hunt, and people who have a much larger number of species that they can pursue. I'm not envious of their success, only their opportunity.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I struggle with none of the above.

I am neither envious or arrogant. I care less what someones accomplishments are.. unless he has a really great family behind him.

I do struggle with want. I'm not sure I will want to bow hunt anymore in the near future.. I really don't know anymore. Hunting has become such a pain lately for me.. I still love it.. but not enough to set aside everything else.

My priorities have greatly changed over the past year.. starting with my marriage to my wife. It really is more important to me to have the children we want together.. than to keep hunting whitetail.

I struggle with the want. Sometimes I don't know if I want it anymore.

I'm just being honest. Of course it will probably change in October.. after a good cold front turns my blood.

Quick Reply: What do you struggle with more as a bowhunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.