HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   When all the planets align. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/250564-when-all-planets-align.html)

tsoc 06-25-2008 09:02 PM

When all the planets align.

I am sure many of you have had hunts where you could just feel it!You knew that this was the hunt where it was going to happen.
A couple of years ago I had a morning hunt like that with all these elements like never before.Clear cool morning,I felt alert and strong (all of my 6'1" and 175 pounds worth)I got to the spot I was hunting got out of my truck and was putting my hunting clothes on while looking up at the sky more full of stars than I have ever remembered,then I saw not one but two shooting stars.I felt like I should go buy a lottery ticket,like every thing was going my way.Got to my stand,up the hemlock in the dark,feeling completely at ease and at peace.Maybe 20 minutes after having sufficient shooting lightI hear a deer running in the leaves toward my stand.A doe with not one but two good bucks on her heels.In my mind I was saying please come past me in this direction,please come past me in this direction,she did one of the he's did and he got shot at about 7 yards,a nice 8 pointer.It was an absolutely perfect morning.I love those times when you just feel it!

in da woods 06-25-2008 09:12 PM

RE: When all the planets align.

yea, especially when it snows the night before & the hunter's moon is out.

stuckinthereeds 06-25-2008 11:13 PM

Excellent story. sometimes it just all falls into place. When are you going to post some pictures? Congrats though.

TJF 06-26-2008 12:01 AM

Actually no... the best hunts usually start off bad and end great. Some are spur of the moment hunts when I get off work late or am dead tired from work and over sleep so I get a late start. Crappy weather for the start of the hunt but turning nice right before the end of the hunt.

If the wind is right for a spot... hunt it. See how it pansouts.

Tim

rybohunter 06-26-2008 04:27 AM

I dream of those perfect days actually panning out. But I’m in Tim’s boat. My good hunts start out with me in a bad mood due to poor weather and/or wind conditions or a bit of a drought in seeing deer.

GMMAT 06-26-2008 08:53 AM

Im with the other two....

My best two bucks were taken on days when I ....

1. Left gear at the base of my tree
2. Climbed the wrong tree

I feel like you mention, a lot....and it sometimes pans out that way. But I kinda laugh when things don't go exactly as planned, too. It usually works out;)

huntingson 06-26-2008 08:56 AM

In all honesty I have had the most success when I felt like I wasn't even going to see anything but was completely content about just being in the woods. It seems when I decide to just enjoy the hunt, that is when I am successful.

quiksilver 06-26-2008 09:30 AM

I usually have a pretty good gut feeling as for how a hunt is going to go.

My favorite days are when I'm hunting alone, driving in the dead of the night out to my area of choice, with the Ipod plugged into the car stereo, with a 20 ounce of Mountain Dew nestled in the cup holder, a full tank of gas, andthe treestand clanking around in the back seat.At that point,I'm completely at peace with the world.

That little red ricegrinder turns into heaven on wheels.

Something about being by myself, I don't feel pressured or obligated to change my plan of attack. My ingress is always smooth as silk. No drama. No panic. No pressure to see deer just b/c your buddy is having action. No time limit. Once you hit your target tree, it's a matter of "when" not "if."

VERY rarely have I ever had opportunities when I didn't expect them.

bloodcrick 06-26-2008 09:59 AM

Well said quick ;)i can comprehend. I usually have that good feeling when im going to have a good day. It even stems from my wife. SEVERAL times i have scored on a good one, came home to relay the news and my wife says, i just had that feeling you were going to do good today :)hugs!!

virginiashadow 06-26-2008 10:04 AM

quicksilver--this paragraph while seemingly tiny and obscure is actually a great summary of some of the things I feel when I am heading out....

"My favorite days are when I'm hunting alone, driving in the dead of the night out to my area of choice, with the Ipod plugged into the car stereo, with a 20 ounce of Mountain Dew nestled in the cup holder, a full tank of gas, andthe treestand clanking around in the back seat.At that point,I'm completely at peace with the world."