Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU >

Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU

I had a thought tonight about the broadband of hunters on our forum. The Rory's and the StevensMcbees help us to reflect back on the passion we had in our teens...and guys much older than Magicman can tell us how the journey has treated them over the years.....

0to100 years old...tell us what hunting has done for you, when you started, who got you in, and how do you feel in your stand on opening day....where do you see yourself in the years to come????..

Tell us your age...its part of our band of friends~!

Hunting is a passion we have...young or old....we love it.!

MW
Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU

well my dad started taking me when i got to about 4 years old, but i didnt carry a gun along till about ehh 7 or 8. so far hunting has given me the best memories of my life, and you can never know everything about hunting, and the animal youre hunting, which is one reason i keep going.
the feeling in the stand ANY DAY is undescribable, its literally like none i have felt anywhere else. during deer season, im gone just about every weekend, whether its with a gun or a bow. i just cant get enough of it.
hopefully in the years to come i will be running an outfitting service here in missouri with my brother and best friend. i could also very easily seeing my self moving further sout (bootheel of missouri, southern illinois, western kentucky, etc..)
the only reason i can see myself stop hunting, is because i physically CANNOT do it anymore
great threat mw
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rory/MO,

As you get older and fulfill those dreams of outfitting or whatever you do....you will take on more responsibility in your life....Regardless of the work load.... you will never change the feelings you have... and you will always feel like a kid...I am still a kid in mind and I'm 34....remember...when you settle down...look...(hold the one you have)...and hope for a women that supports what you love....and you will be able to continue on your path...you will have some sacrifice..but thats apart of life...and when you have a family....you will bring them on your journey in the outdoors...and they'll love it...because they'll love you....enjoy it buddy....
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM

I began hunting with a single shot 20 gauge my grandpa gave me. His passion was quail hunting. He loved it, and he is the one who started me out hunting. As soon as I started hunting with him, I loved it. I started asking him questions all the time. I would watch it on tv. I soaked up all I could. I eventually started hunting dove and rabbits in my area. I was always wanting more. I started hunting turkeys when I was 13? I think. I took the hunter's safety couse and away I went! I started hunting deer the next year. On my first deer hunt I sat at the bottom of a huge Elm tree in blue jeans and an army camo shirt with the oldest open-sight rifle I have ever laid my hands on. I was just happy to be out there.

Then something else changed my hunting path. I watched a hunting show one day and the guy was bowhunting. He went on to describe how he loved bowhunting and he couldnt imaging his life without it. My intrest was peaked and I WANTED A BOW!

Long story short....this fall will be my 4th season to hit the woods with bow in hand. And what started out as a spark of interest, can only be desribed as an uncontrollable blaze today.

Ill be 18 years old in a couple weeks, and I am starting college this fall. My time in the woods will be limited this fall, Im sure, because of school and all. But I promise I will soak up every minute I get like it is the last drops of water on earth.

Great post Brian! I had fun writing that
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if I'm very young or very old; I see myself more or less as a "tweener." I'm 23yrs old, and I've been involved in the outdoors since I was old enough to tag along with Dad. I was blessed to be born and raised on a 90 acre farm and live close to another 1200+ acres that is our hunting cabin land. For me, I was always involved with my dad's passion for the outdoors well before I was old enough to legally participate myself. We have countless pictures of game my dad brought back to the house after successful hunts, and of course we took the official family picture with Dad.

Eventually, September 1996 rolled around, and I was ready for my Hunter Safety class (which was taught by my dad incidently at our middle school). I took a lot of pride in that little orange card I received upon "graduation" which meant I had officially become a hunter. Ever since that first season on stand, it's simply a feeling that's undesicrable, yet it's mutually understood by all who share a passion for this sport. It's a feeling that those who have never experienced it, don't understand it. I'm in a totally different realm in the woods. It's peaceful, primitive, relaxing, and very exciting. Cool mornings, frosted leaves, sun kissing the tops of the trees, and that "crunching" approaching our stand we all yearn to hear is what drives me. In my younger years (sounds like I'm an old man), I was all about the kill, but I'm finding I'm transitioning much quicker into defining hunting for what it truly is (and what makes it so much fun): THE HUNT.

My passion has grown into "offseason" endeavors such as scouting, management, target archery, etc. I see myself in the future, hopefully purchasing land of my own to develop, manage, and enjoy as I was able to do growing up. Who knows, someday I may have some kids of my own to bring up and expose them to what I was exposed to.

End of my nostalgic rant
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad started taking me also around 4 years old, i was able to shoot my first deer at age 6, a button buck with a 243. After that i was hooked, my parents all make fun of me now because starting at 2, every time i would see a deer i would shoot it with my fake gun lol. i gained in hunting knowledge as soon as i could read and every hunting book or magazine would be read thru page to page and even now i subscribe to 4 magazines a month and have a whole library full of hunting books. anyways, in 4th grade i shot my biggest buck ever,(til now) a 168" 12 point and in 5th grade i shot my first deer with a bow, a 110" 8 point and at that moment i cought the bowhunting virus and could not get it out of my mind. every night i dreamed about stickin big bucks, siting in treestands on opening morning and from the middle of 5th grade till 6th grade i slept beside my mathews lol (bad i know) and 18 deer later, here i am lol, i still have the burning passion for bowhunting and every season opener, i skip school and go hunting. about a year ago, i was able to go on an elk hunt and killed a 320 inch bull with my 300 wsm from 400 yardsand wow that was a rush! the feeling i get while hunting is undescribeable! i hunted over 100 hours last year and even after season, i go sit in a stand every morning and evening i get the chance to just because being in a stand is unlike anything else ive ever done, i am a different person once i get out in the woods. The only thing that can stop me from hunting is death, and even then, i hope heaven has a thicket you cant walk through and theres a tree on the edge that leans back ever so slightly, and if there is, you can bet i will be up in that tree with a mathews in my hand. Longest post ive ever had but it was worth it on a great thread, thanks michigan!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job WIll!! Find the woods on the weekends and enjoy college...soak it up and have fun.....I know you will......But I'll say it.....stay in the woods always...and get that degree.......
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im younger than most people make me out to be, both on the forum aswell in real life (19). Im glad to say I have already fullfilled several of my dreams in bowhunting and continue to pursue my remaining goals with the same passion I had 10 years ago in my first season. I owe it all to my Dad and my neighbor back from my Indiana childhood who installed ethics and brutal practice sessions into my DNA at a young age. I learned that hunting is suppose to be enjoyable, but the life of an animal is sacred and deserves respect. I hope I can do this until I breath my last.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drop tine....sweet post....If I could say one thing about all of the great details you posted......hold what you have with your brother...do it ever year and cherish those hunts...put it on your camera and post it in your room...I love to hunt with my brother....even though his passion is racing cars.....

I'll be lookin for ya...thanks for a good summary...

Quick Reply: Very young, or very old, tell us about YOU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.