Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail? >

On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I watched a TV hunting show where a guy had a donkey come down the trail into his set....lol.
We used to go hunt up in Nelson Co. VA every year the two days after Thanksgiving. One place we hunted was behind a guys house that my Dad had known since before I was born. His wife and he had a few animals, one of which was a donkey. I walked across the pasture and up the other side of the ridge and that stupid animal followed me EVERYWHERE I WENT! I couldn't shake him.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

two years in a row from the same stand i had a bobcat come in (not so common in my area) but they are there. I seen a squirrel freak out more than i have ever seen when he seen the cat!!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM

I shot my biggest buck after watching some buffoon (within an hour of dark) walk across a field to five feet inside the woods, sit down, get up and clear a shooting lane, sit down, get up again and walk somewhere, come back and sit down. I shot the buck when he turned after spotting the guy and went to trot back over the hill.

It worked out a lot better than the time a herd of cows chased away two bucks on a bowhunt in Kansas.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

A 190 inch buck that I couldn't shoot cause I already filled my tag
Ouch in every way!!! That would suck!!
Yeah it pretty much did suck!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just two weird things for me. I washunting opening weekend in a treeblind on a dead calm day, no wind at all when around 10 AM a gigantic pine tree some how just falls to the ground. I mean there was no wind, no sound and this tree falls 10 feet from me, I almost crapped my pants.

Also, was hunting with my back to a tree (this was rifle) on a super old abandoned train track when I hear a noise coming from my right on a sprint. Getting excited and thinking its a deer I slowly turn my head to see a big Tom Turkey running at me full speed. Thinking he'll see me soon I stay still, he doesn't spot me. Makes it 3 feet from my my feet, he stops, stairs at me for ten seconds and slowly walks around me then makes it back on his path and keeps running. Scared me to death when he stopped and looked at me, thought I was going to have to wrestle a turkey to death. My buddy was watching the whole thing on a ridge above me waiting for the turkey wrestling to begin. Of course, I don't see any deer and he nailed his first deer ever 15 minutes later.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Npockat:

NOWHERE near the buck you saw....but I did have a similar occurrence on the closing day of deer season, '06, when this guy walked by me at 20 yds....and I didn't have a tag for him.

Everything works out in the end, though.....

I shot him Nov. 6th of the '07 season.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Npockat:

NOWHERE near the buck you saw....but I did have a similar occurrence on the closing day of deer season, '06, when this guy walked by me at 20 yds....and I didn't have a tag for him.

Everything works out in the end, though.....

I shot him Nov. 6th of the '07 season.

Yeah it was tough!! Glad to hear you got him Jeff!!!

-Noah
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just remembered something that was very strange and happened to me a couple years ago. A mink came bounding by my stand one November. The reason it was so strange was my stand was on the very top of a bluff, over 200 feet higher than and about 1/3 mile away from the nearest body of water, a river. Having trapped a lot I know water animals quite well, and that was weird!

I have never seen mink or their tracks more than 100 yards from water before or since then. I wanted to peg it but wasn't sure of the legality so I held off...good thing, I found out in this state they can only be trapped.