Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail? >

On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Close to dark my dad heard a snorting grunting kind of sound about the 1st week of Nov. As it got closer the noisier it got. He said the sticks it was breaking sounded huge, He figured he had the buck of a lifetime coming down his trail when all of a sudden out came a Belgium Horse. It was the neighbors horse, He damn shot the SOB is what he said!! Man he was ticked thinking he had his booner coming down the trail.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow! how did that end up
You mean the militia dudes? I heard a few months later they'd gotten caught and arrested for holding paramilitary exercises on public land. Some of 'em went to prison.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM

I've not really encountered anything I would call crazy, but the one I had to look twice at was a family of beavers. I mean, really.....right there in the middle of the woods comes 5 beavers walking down the trail.....Didn't expect that.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had every conceiveable animal walk by... but the one I'll remember most happened in Maryland. I was hunting about 100 yards behind a yuppie neighborhood. You know the place, they all have yard crews and don't do anything themselves. So I take my climber and settle in about 20 feet up in the perfect tree/hideout. I'd sat there a couple times before and always had deer come by coming from the fields about 400 yards away. It gets good and light and the nearest house(I can see it)... the yard crew shows up. They break out about 3 blowers and start blowing all the oak leaves on the lawnback into the woods. As they move around to the South side of the house the noise slacks. I see a couple deer coming. Suddenly they do a left face and disappear down the hill. Next... I hear voices. They're getting closer. Hey, I know that guy... he was in charge of the blower crew from Nicaragra or wherever they're from. He's on his cell phone, walking back into the woods talking away. He gets about30 yards from me and stops. Looks around and promptly drops his drawers. He's still on the phone. He dumps a load and with no further fanfare..... pulls his pants back up and walks back to the yard work, all the time talking on the phone. And yup, you heard me right, he never thought of picking up a leaf, finding paper or anything. He just squatted, trotted and took his stinky butt back to the lawn.[:'(][:'(][:'(] I mean, I was right there in not so plain site. He's looking my way, left, right, front and rear but never saw me. I hung in there another hour or so but fnally just had to leave.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

This wasn't weird or especially funnny. Amusing I'd say. I was hunting in Alberta my first year, and had this white-faced Hereford walk up to my Renzo deer decoy, and sniff it!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I guess the one thing that was odd for me was when I was hunting about 100 hards from a creek that runs through the property when I keep hearing something crunching the leaves,I finally spot what is making all the noise and it was 2 fresh water otters,just strange to see them so far inland,this past season while hunting overlooking a huge drain ditch had one swim past me then came back,when it got right under me I saw him dive down and could tell he was chasing something and when he surfaced he had a fish in his mouth and he climbed up on a log and ate it,man those things have a mouthfull of teeth,just thought that was kinda cool to see.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
bigcountry

I had an Alpaca come in bow range. I saw this huge brown animal going thru the brush, and got my bow, thinking, this is going to be a monster 250-300lb deer. Then I it clearly, and pulled my heart back in my chest. Glad I didn't shoot it.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

My oddball sightings include a group of naturists, a full company of KKK militia 'on maneuvers' (that was kinda scary!), 3 emus and one camel.

Gotta love hunting on public land.
Where the heck do you hunt????????? and that would have been kinda cool to see a group of KKK guys running around
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, anyone who has hunted elk in the Gila area of New Mexico can relate in some form or fashion to the donkeys.There are a lot, and I mean a lot of wild burros(donkeys) within the wildnerness areas of the Gila.

Elk, by nature, are noisy animals and so are burros. There have many occasions where I have "invesigated" rocks tumbling 100 yards down in the ravine only to have a burro make the loudest and most obnoxious sound when he busts you about 30 yards away in thick brush.

They can also startle the beejeebees out of you when you are making that long walk back to camp in the middle of nowhere and you walk into a bunch that let off all the "yeehawing and screeching you have ever heard all around you.

But the craziest experience with them was a few years ago as I was trying to intercept a nice size elk bull going over a saddle. He finally crests the top and is about to walk into a shooting lane at about 30 yards when low and behold, there are two burros following him.

Everytime I would try to draw, they would sense it and look my direction. It was just like having two cows with him. Never got a shot off. They followed the exact route of the bull and no more than 10-20 yards behind hime.

I have never seen it since (elk and burros traveling together) but I can tell you it was no coincidence-they were definitely out to get me.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I've had every conceiveable animal walk by... but the one I'll remember most happened in Maryland. I was hunting about 100 yards behind a yuppie neighborhood. You know the place, they all have yard crews and don't do anything themselves. So I take my climber and settle in about 20 feet up in the perfect tree/hideout. I'd sat there a couple times before and always had deer come by coming from the fields about 400 yards away. It gets good and light and the nearest house(I can see it)... the yard crew shows up. They break out about 3 blowers and start blowing all the oak leaves on the lawnback into the woods. As they move around to the South side of the house the noise slacks. I see a couple deer coming. Suddenly they do a left face and disappear down the hill. Next... I hear voices. They're getting closer. Hey, I know that guy... he was in charge of the blower crew from Nicaragra or wherever they're from. He's on his cell phone, walking back into the woods talking away. He gets about30 yards from me and stops. Looks around and promptly drops his drawers. He's still on the phone. He dumps a load and with no further fanfare..... pulls his pants back up and walks back to the yard work, all the time talking on the phone. And yup, you heard me right, he never thought of picking up a leaf, finding paper or anything. He just squatted, trotted and took his stinky butt back to the lawn.[:'(][:'(][:'(] I mean, I was right there in not so plain site. He's looking my way, left, right, front and rear but never saw me. I hung in there another hour or so but fnally just had to leave.
That right there is funny as all hell!! Yet it sounds soooo right.

Quick Reply: On the lighter side...."Weird" stuff coming down the trail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.