Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's going through your mind? >

What's going through your mind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's going through your mind?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's going through your mind?

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

What's going through your mind just as you here the leaves crunching.... and you know it's close... is it a squirrel? No too carefull to be a squirrel.... Here it is, as soon as it takes 5 more steps....

Whats going through your mind Right at this point?
I'll tell you what. I was sitting in my stand last year and was hearing squirrels, one after another, stirring up the leaves. It got to the point where I stopped looking. I hearsome stirring again, only this time it's quite close. So, for the hell of it I turn my head (too quickly) expecting it to be another another squirrel. It's not!!! It's thebest buck, a 10pt, I've ever seen in my hunting area,ever.[:@]
Hesaw me turn to look, and he breaks camp like it was nobody's business!! This buck was literally 10yrds from me. I'll never forget that day.
When I first told this little story of defeat a while back, I mentioned how this was a beginners mistake, which it was. But, it just goes to show that no matter how long you've beenat this game, youkeep learning. Sometimes learning by making mistakes is the best way. I knew better than to do what I did, I just got lazy, and I payed the price for it!
I can usually tell the difference between the noise of a squirrel, and that of a deer. On that illfated day I couldn't! It won't happen again. Lesson learned.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has he seen me? Can I move? Which way is he headed?

I have to slow my breathing down........wonder if he can hear my heart beating?

Get my bow in hand and my release on the string and wait until his head is behind a tree to draw/stand.

Draw. Focus on the kill zone based on how he is standing and................ release............thwack!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Damn Squirrels
Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

or in Jeff's case.................

Who is that and why is he pooping there?[:@]

sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Original: Arthur P
Or an armadillo.
Yep. In my neck of the woods, there is nothing that mimics the sound of a deer (at least in my feeble mind) than an armadillo. They sound heavier than they are and they stop and start a lot with lengthy pauses.

I have waited and listened between leaf rustles for up to 5-10 minutes with great anticipation only to find out it was a stinkin armadillo.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM

That was definately a learning experience for me last season being my first. Those squirrels and chip munks were constantly driving me up the tree. I'm just going to have to be patient but find a new spot.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:09 PM

There are those sounds that are all squirrel. The sounds that really could be either if a deer is meandering. And then the sounds that are all deer.

There are a lot of squirrels where I hunt these days and therefore the constant filter of those sounds.

Once I see a buck like most of you I’m not so much thinking as reacting on autopilot.

It seems like I’ve spent a lifetime of hours on stand waiting for those moments
Old 06-24-2008, 02:13 PM

i would say i would go through things to keep my emotions under control.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

It can't be a deer,.....I never see deer while I'm bowhunting......Oh my gosh! ItIS a deer! Thank you Lord!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Now if you where to ask my wife she would say NOTHING.Ok i would tell myself turn real slow come on don't rush it ,don't rush it please don't let it see me moving, ok where in the h== are you.

Quick Reply: What's going through your mind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.