HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bear Problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/250174-bear-problem.html)

valor10 06-22-2008 07:51 PM

Bear Problem

Got a problem. I recently moved in on my property, 50 acre parcel in the middle of about 1200 acres. My 50 is 30 year hardwood growth. Half the properties are replanted pines, of the same age, the other half hardwood regrowth, like mine. Got a ways to go, but it's forresting up nice. In addition to the acre and a half where the house is,I got a two acre clearing of food plots and orchard grass. Property lines are full of clover. I've lost three feedersto the bears. Three. Mangled and destroyed. Both tri-pod and tree hung. Anybody got a suggestion on how to detour them? They treat them like big bird feeders. Neighbors dropped two bears last season, so apparently they're more entrenched than anybody around here really knows. Excluding killing them out of season, anybody got an idea?

jwork 06-22-2008 07:59 PM

RE: Bear Problem

If ur looking to keep them from tearing-up your feeders. Hang them from tree limbs and get something like tin to put around the base of the tree, so they cant climb it and get to the feeder.

Hoyt_Viper 06-22-2008 08:34 PM

Set up a trailcam and see if its one or a few bear. Ive heard of stuff you could use that bear dont eat, and possibly run them off with a certain scent. Dig a 10 foot covered hole and keep him in it until season....just kidding!

OHbowhntr 06-22-2008 08:51 PM

What state/province do you live in??? And....How much are NR tags????

Wingbone 06-23-2008 04:25 AM

Quit feeding them.

wis_bow_huntr 06-23-2008 05:02 AM

Quit feeding them that will solve all your problems :D

davidmil 06-23-2008 05:06 AM

You invite them to dinner and then wonder why they won't go home. LOL[8D]

valor10 06-23-2008 08:00 AM

Yeah, pretty much screwed.If they'd only learn to share :D. There's at least two different bears. Might give the tin a try, but I got a feeling they'll just rip that off as well. The ten foot hole might be the only solution after all :D.

You invite them to dinner and then wonder why they won't go home. LOL[8D]
Kind of like relatives :D

DoubleH 06-23-2008 10:21 AM

Have you ever tried to "squirrel proof" a bird feeder? It's pretty much impossible. Same deal here.

davidmil 06-23-2008 03:38 PM

You can squirrel proof a bird feeder very easily. Just put it out in the open(no trees to jump from) and mount it atop a big piece of PVC piping. It's a riot watching them throw themselves against it trying to climb it. And just in case... you put a big collar of aluminum sheeting just below the feeder. They have to wait for scraps knocked down by the birds.