Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 you wouldn't believe what a deer will eat >

you wouldn't believe what a deer will eat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

you wouldn't believe what a deer will eat

Old 06-22-2008, 07:58 AM

Default RE: you wouldn't believe what a deer will eat

Magic,

Alectoria Sarmentosa or "Old Man's Beard" is a form of lichen and isalso known as "Witch's Hair". In the big woods its a favorite food source of whitetails and grows on evergreen trees. Up here you can see the "lichen browse line" up to where the deer can reach. I tend to find a lot of sheds under jack pines, where they fall off while the deer are eating lichen.

http://www.lichen.com/bigpix/Asarmentosa.html

Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've been told they'll eat poison oak leaves, around here....but I haven't seen that, either.
DeerLOVE poisen ivy, multi flora rose (thorns), and mile a minute vine (tiny thorns). At least in my area.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've been told they'll eat poison oak leaves, around here....but I haven't seen that, either.
DeerLOVE poisen ivy, multi flora rose (thorns), and mile a minute vine (tiny thorns). At least in my area.
Ditto!! It never surprises me what I see an animal eat.

I wouldn't want to follow their lead[8D]

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Magic,

Alectoria Sarmentosa or "Old Man's Beard" is a form of lichen and isalso known as "Witch's Hair". In the big woods its a favorite food source of whitetails and grows on evergreen trees. Up here you can see the "lichen browse line" up to where the deer can reach. I tend to find a lot of sheds under jack pines, where they fall off while the deer are eating lichen.

http://www.lichen.com/bigpix/Asarmentosa.html
Thanks Dan, I have yet to see a deer pass up an opertunity to eat this stuff.
Another odd food source I have noticed is dead leaves that are still on a limb. If a branch falls during the summer while the leaves are still green they tend to stay on the limb and turn brown. Deer will ignor it until winter and there is snow on the ground. Then they will strip the leaves off and eat the branch clean. They will return again and again. A good spot to set a stand!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM

That stuff reminds me of Spanish Moss like you see down south.
It looks like moss to me, i wouldnt be suprised if the florida deer did eat mossthey dont have any other nutrition down here by me
Old 06-22-2008, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Tes, that is moss. Down here in Florida, deer will definatly eat it, they love it. If a bad storm comes through, deer, as well as cattle will head to downed trees with moss, and moss blown to the ground. One of the oddest things I have witness, was a doe and 2 yearlings stripping a 6 ft Marajuana bush, of all leaves and buds they could reach in Nebraska. No, the marajuana was of the wild type. It was everywhere and gave my allergie hell!
I guess they do eat moss
Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

That stuff reminds me of Spanish Moss like you see down south.
Yea thats what we call it here in LOUISIANA,and I've never seen deer eat the stuff,but I will pay closer attention now that you say they will.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Tes, that is moss. Down here in Florida, deer will definatly eat it, they love it. If a bad storm comes through, deer, as well as cattle will head to downed trees with moss, and moss blown to the ground. One of the oddest things I have witness, was a doe and 2 yearlings stripping a 6 ft Marajuana bush, of all leaves and buds they could reach in Nebraska. No, the marajuana was of the wild type. It was everywhere and gave my allergie hell!
those deer would be nice and easy to hunt, they'd be so baked that you could walk right up to them.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM

^ LOL i never thought of that. all you would need is a knife for that hunt, or mabye just a rope
Old 06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

I've heard that stuff starts fires pretty good!

same here thats the only thing ive heard

Quick Reply: you wouldn't believe what a deer will eat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.