Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you take this shot? >

Do you take this shot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take this shot?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you take this shot?

Glad to see the results are 56:4 in favor of passing on the 70 yard shot.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a chance, that buck will live to see another day. Post this POLL on another forum I get on and it'll likely be 50/50 though!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope.. Have had similar deer within 40 but the right shot wasn't there so I didn't take it. Not that I've never taken a bad shot but I really try not too. Happens less asI learn to be a better hunter.. But no, don't take the shot.. Deer deserves better thend that..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close.
Never!!!!!!!

Right on BHF! Bow hunting is up and close hunting, not a shooting sport!!
Steve, No offense bro, but tell Chuck Adams that or Phil Phillips.

What Bowhunting is to one does not mean that's what is to all. There are areas I have hunted if you are not willing/able to shoot at least 40 yards then you might as well stay home. I am a Bowhunter exclusively. I never have gun hunted for big game.

My 2 biggest Trophies were taken at 84 yards and 3 yards respectively.

I was not flinging the arrow when I took the 84 yard shot at my Elk. I had shot out to 90 yards everyday in preparation for that hunt on advice of the outfitter.

The Elk ran only 60+ yards. I wouldn't take that shot today, but more because my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be than for any other reason.

The thing you have to realize is there are right and wrong times to take a 20 yard shot, but if you are capable there are also right and wrong times to take a 50 yard shot. Last year I passed up an 8 yard shot at a real bruiser Whitetail because the percentages for success were not good.

I have shot close to 30 animals at ranges of at least 40 yards or more, and I have yet to see one react to the shot at those distances.

Dan

No offense here Dan, but you know as well as I do that an elk is not a deer.... at least not in a target sense... you've got a whole lot more target in an elk than you do even a very large whitetail. Plus, as you mentioned, you were ready for an extended range shot. And no doubt in the type of terrain you were in, (likely very open) getting to within 80 yards (and for a flatlander like me getting UP to where the terrain is open) is a feat worth mention in itself. But comparing a long shot on elk and a long shot on a whitetail is like the difference between hitting the green from the tee and a hole in one.

The whole point of the initial post is really not "would you take a 70 yard shot" but more "would you take a shot that you know is further than you ought to be taking in the given situation." For you I suppose the range should have been 125 The example you gave about passing on the deer at 8 yards plays to the heart of the whole matter.... abilities and circumstances are looked at subjectively... and its up to us the hunters to make the call when the time comes whether we can make an ethical shot or not.
Thats FUNNY!!!!!!! Who gives a rats ass what Chuck Adams and (whoever)Phil Phillps is thinks! I hunt for me...........Doesn't Chuck Adams shoot a Rage Broadhead!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM

no way @ 70, no problem @50
Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have you been taking posting lessons from GMMAT
LMAO
No, I would not Justin.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool
Thats FUNNY!!!!!!! Who gives a rats ass what Chuck Adams and (whoever)Phil Phillps is thinks! I hunt for me...........Doesn't Chuck Adams shoot a Rage Broadhead!
You're right! I hunt for me too!

And No way I'd go on a hunt and not be prepared to take the shot needed to take Game. I hunt to Kill!

50+ yards! I'm sure he'd look better on my wall if he was only 15 yards away when I shot

The main thing is a Man has to know his limitations and Never fling arrows and pray

Dan

Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

[blockquote]quote:

Have you been taking posting lessons from GMMAT[/blockquote]

LMAO
No, I would not Justin.
It was kinda funny.

If you hadn't been banned, before, for arguing a camo pattern.....I suppose it could've been REAL funny

Oh yeah....LMAO.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can not get closer than that to him, you may need to reconsider rifle hunting. jmho

LT
Old 06-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Not only would I take the shot,but I'd put the arrow right where it needs to be.I have been shooting HHA's for years,and I practice out to 80yds.I havemy older HHAsights
set up in 5yd increments.With the new Ultra 5500XL,it's in 1yd. increments.A pie plate at 70yds. is no problem.
After saying all that,the picture you painted is the perfect world,which is rare,to say the least.I may practice out that far,but 90% of my deer are taken inside of 45yds....Bob

Quick Reply: Do you take this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.