HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who uses and API climbing stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/249735-who-uses-api-climbing-stand.html)

killadoe 06-18-2008 07:05 AM

Who uses and API climbing stand?

My Dad has one and I was thinking about using it this year. I have a summit Cobra X4, however I am wanting to try something that isnt open in the front. The API needs new shrink tubing on the chain but thats it, its barely been used. Have you or do you use one, if so give me the pros and cons. To me my summit is lighter and a lil easier to put on the tree but that is minor. Thanks...

racewayking 06-18-2008 07:09 AM

RE: Who uses and API climbing stand?

I use an API. Not as light as a summit but I love the stand and it can get in a greater range of tree sizes than many other climbers, plus you can buy longer chain if needed for it through farm supply stores.

nchawkeye 06-18-2008 08:39 AM

I have 2 and bow hunt out of them, just make sure you adjust the bottom up so when you draw the bow doesn't hit the front bar...

You can either duck tape over the damaged tubing, or remove and go to a hardware store and buy plastic tubing to replace...

mobow 06-18-2008 08:51 AM

I don't know if the newer ones are any better or not, but I have a 4 y/o API climber, and I don't like it. It's loud and not NEARLY as comfortable as my Summt Viper.

bigbulls 06-18-2008 12:05 PM

I have one. Like the stand itself...... Absolutely HATE the chains. Dumbest idea ever in a climbing stand IMHO.

The API needs new shrink tubing on the chain but thats it, its barely been used.
And you'll barely use it again and need new tubing, and you'll barely use it again and need new tubing, and you'll............ so on and so on and so on. Bunch of crap!

early in 06-18-2008 12:46 PM

I just today,had a guy give me an API Grand Slam climber (used 3 times)because he's moving and doesn't hunt anymore. How ironic is that? No offense, but compared to my Lone Wolf sit and climb, it looks like a piece ofjunk!:D:DWhat are they worth?;):D

nchawkeye 06-18-2008 12:52 PM

It's funny how we all have different opinions on products...I've taken many a nap in my API, it's the most comfortable stand I've ever used and many mornings I stay up until 11:00 or so, I'm 52 and couldn't do that if the stand wasn't comfortsble...I'm also 6ft 5 and about 250, so I can't use a small stand...

I bought my first one the first year they came out and the second about 3 years later, I've never replaced the chains, just wrapped them with camo duct tape where they go around the tree and keep using them...

There are 2 advantages of an API over a Summit...You can remove the pins that go through the chain and replace with long shank locks and lock the stand to the tree...You can also buy a padded gun rest to use during gun season, the rest that Summit used to have was a Y shaped rest that wasn't adjustable for elevation...

As far as quiet, I've had deer walk by while I was in the process of climbing the tree, I've also had deer come in within just a few minutes of getting settled in...

bawanajim 06-18-2008 12:57 PM

Just a note. This happened near me.[:@]

A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit that alleged a defective tree stand and harness caused the 2002 death of an off-duty Pennsylvania state trooper who was hunting near his home in Elgin.

Terms of the settlement were sealed by the court.

The defendants were API Outdoors Inc., Outland Sports Inc. and Cabela's.

With such settlements, the defendants typically admit no wrongdoing.

The lawsuit stemmed from the Oct. 5, 2002, death of Timothy Bell, a 34-year-old trooper with the Corry barracks, who died of asphyxiation when a tree stand collapsed from underneath him and he became tangled in his safety harness.

Lawyers representing the defendants in the case could not be reached for comment.

Widow Tamara Bell's lawyer, Jaime D. Jackson, of Lancaster, said he declined comment out of respect for the Bell family.

Tamara Bell filed a lawsuit in 2004 in Erie County Court that charged the tree stand lacked an adequate pin to hold the foot platform in place and keep it from collapsing. She also said the safety harness did not have a mechanism to allow a user to lower himself to the ground or hang safely in the air in the event the stand collapsed beneath him.

The case charged that API Outdoors Inc. and Outland Sports Inc. -- the companies that made the API Grand Slam Shooting Star tree stand -- and Cabela's, the company that sold it, should have known the tree stand and its harness were defective and dangerous to those who used them.

Bell said the defendants were liable for her husband's death and for the damage and loss his death brought to her and the couple's two children.

API Outdoors Inc. was a subsidiary of Outland Sports Inc., of Tallulah, La.

Had the case gone to trial, the defendants planned to argue that the death occurred the first time that Timothy Bell used the tree stand, which belonged to his father.

They said the product was not defective and claimed that Bell did not use the tree stand properly.

early in 06-18-2008 01:04 PM

I guess that's why I couldn't find API stands in the Cabela's catalog?

WesternMdHardwoods 06-18-2008 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Just a note. This happened near me.[:@]

A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit that alleged a defective tree stand and harness caused the 2002 death of an off-duty Pennsylvania state trooper who was hunting near his home in Elgin.

Terms of the settlement were sealed by the court.

The defendants were API Outdoors Inc., Outland Sports Inc. and Cabela's.

With such settlements, the defendants typically admit no wrongdoing.

The lawsuit stemmed from the Oct. 5, 2002, death of Timothy Bell, a 34-year-old trooper with the Corry barracks, who died of asphyxiation when a tree stand collapsed from underneath him and he became tangled in his safety harness.

Lawyers representing the defendants in the case could not be reached for comment.

Widow Tamara Bell's lawyer, Jaime D. Jackson, of Lancaster, said he declined comment out of respect for the Bell family.

Tamara Bell filed a lawsuit in 2004 in Erie County Court that charged the tree stand lacked an adequate pin to hold the foot platform in place and keep it from collapsing. She also said the safety harness did not have a mechanism to allow a user to lower himself to the ground or hang safely in the air in the event the stand collapsed beneath him.

The case charged that API Outdoors Inc. and Outland Sports Inc. -- the companies that made the API Grand Slam Shooting Star tree stand -- and Cabela's, the company that sold it, should have known the tree stand and its harness were defective and dangerous to those who used them.

Bell said the defendants were liable for her husband's death and for the damage and loss his death brought to her and the couple's two children.

API Outdoors Inc. was a subsidiary of Outland Sports Inc., of Tallulah, La.

Had the case gone to trial, the defendants planned to argue that the death occurred the first time that Timothy Bell used the tree stand, which belonged to his father.

They said the product was not defective and claimed that Bell did not use the tree stand properly.

This is EXACTLY what I thought!! Gotta be smarter then the equipment you are using?
Jim I am sorry if this was a friend of yours or anyones for that matter, but he along as everyone else knows what can happen in a treestand.