Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot a half rack? >

Would you shoot a half rack?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a half rack?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would you shoot a half rack?

I have had this happen to me in Kansas last year and i didnt shoot. I did take some pictures though. Had he matched he would have gone over 160" but just broke off after the G-2 on the left side. He was only 70 yards away when i took this pic.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's funny toread some of the responses.

What happened to all of the people who say............... Ilove the challenge of killing a "mature" whitetail? "I am a QDM hunter"....Let em go so he can grow.......blah blah blah.....

Good grief just be honest......if it aint a big rack for you to show off to your buddies you won't shoot.......even if a smaller buck would make you happy

the use of "you" was not intended toward anyone in particular....
Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

No I would not shoot him unless I have been eating tag soup for a couple of seasons.If the area was not pressured I would like to see him in all his glory the next season.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not shooting. For me it's about the antlers. When I want some meat I shoot a doe, they taste better.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like a bucks rack to look like it belongs on a post card, I could care less how worn a deers teeth are. Now in states where I have had multiple tags, I have slipped an arrow into a few that have had no brow tines or slick main beams to keep them from spreading their seed. Broken or half racks get a pass.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I'd shoot it with both sides, I'd shoot it with one.

I am thoroughly amused by all of the "mature" buck hunters who say that their #1 goal is to take a "mature" deer - but then supposedly are willing to pass up a banger buck with a beam knocked off.

But then again, I'm thinking that 90 percent of this is pure b.s. - your run of the mill internet bullchit spewed by the guys who never get anything, but invariably proclaim themselves to be"passing up" good deer all the time, because they're waiting out "the big one." LOL
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

not shooting would just hope to see him next year with his other side.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gbrownlee

I have had this happen to me in Kansas last year and i didnt shoot. I did take some pictures though. Had he matched he would have gone over 160" but just broke off after the G-2 on the left side. He was only 70 yards away when i took this pic.
That is a beast! Hope you see him again.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If I'd shoot it with both sides, I'd shoot it with one.

I am thoroughly amused by all of the "mature" buck hunters who say that their #1 goal is to take a "mature" deer - but then supposedly are willing to pass up a banger buck with a beam knocked off.

But then again, I'm thinking that 90 percent of this is pure b.s. - your run of the mill internet bullchit spewed by the guys who never get anything, but invariably proclaim themselves to be"passing up" good deer all the time, because they're waiting out "the big one." LOL
LOL ..... quit pullin punches quik...... tell it like you see it

For the record .... I agree with you here ....
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends, is it a young buck with a broken rack? How close to the end of the season? Have I seen many deer? Is the Freezer going to empty for a year if I don't? Most cases, I would not. If it was an older buck on his last leg and my tag was going to go unfilled, sure. Most cases I would pass. He could have a nice full rack next year and be the buck of my dreams. Id rather shoot a nice doe than take a buck that has potential to be a dandy next year. I think it all depends on the hunting pressure, if your a meat hunter and what your idea of a "Trophy" is. Too many vairables for me.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a half rack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.