Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot a half rack? >

Would you shoot a half rack?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a half rack?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot a half rack?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The results of this question always suprise me.
Especially when everyone talks of the general size of bucks they'd shootand the whole "mature" thing.
I guess I want to make this clear to anyone who cares, or doesn't care for that matter.When I hunt, my main goal is to kill a buck with the biggest rack that I can reasonably expect to kill in a given area, REGUARDLESS of the "maturity"of said deer.QDM is out the window when it comes to hunting public land, which is where I hunt MOST of the time. If I'm after meat, I shoot a doe. Plain and simple!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Of course I would. If he's a mature deer......I'm shooting. Theage of a deer, ALONE, would determine the "trophy" factor, for me.....regardless of headgear. I'd have that deer mounted and be proud of him.
If head gear is a mute point. How many does do you have mounted?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The results of this question always suprise me.
Especially when everyone talks of the general size of bucks they'd shootand the whole "mature" thing.
Ditto.

Of course I would. If he's a mature deer......I'm shooting. Theage of a deer, ALONE, would determine the "trophy" factor, for me.....regardless of headgear. I'd have that deer mounted and be proud of him.
Thats exactly where I was coming from. To me, its about the deers age first, antlers second. To others its different, which is also perfecty fine by me. I was just curious about what was more important in others opinions- age vs anter size. So far...50/50 split, which is actually suprising to me.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

1. I don't hunt/shoot does for their "trophy" status, with a compound bow. I hunt them for the meat....and because they need thinning out. I'm not in the least selective when it comes to a female deer. Any one is a fair target.
2. Ask me this question, again, after this season....when I WILL hunt a particular doe for her "trophy" status with my longbow. I plan to have her mounted alongside the others.

(and it's "moot")
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I would let him walk (as I did on a buck two seasons ago). If I was desperate for meat and it was the end of the season I might take him. But I would want the chance at him with a full rack the next year.
Giant Nontypical

1. I don't hunt/shoot does for their "trophy" status, with a compound bow. I hunt them for the meat....and because they need thinning out. I'm not in the least selective when it comes to a female deer. Any one is a fair target.
2. Ask me this question, again, after this season....when I WILL hunt a particular doe for her "trophy" status with my longbow. I plan to have her mounted alongside the others.

(and it's "moot")
No actually "mute" is the proper spelling for what I was saying. You just missed the swooshing sound as it went over your head.
Giant Nontypical

No.

I'd take a complete-racked solid-130ish over what would have been a solid 170ish buck if he was missing half his rack, and hope I got another crack at the big boy the following year.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would shoot him once to kill him, and then one more time for those of you that wouldn't
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 AM

I would shoot. One I haven't had many chances at a buck with a bow, just not many around, two if I were hunting for meat I'd still shoot him, because I don't get that manyopportunities at deer in a season.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me answer this with this first:

Sorry pics so big.

And I will add this was an awesome buck, he was huge at 200+ #'s. But beyond that it was an incredible hunt with some great friends and a day that I replay over and over again.The rackis an excellent conversation piece and he was a tough old deer and his story has been told many a time since the day our paths crossed. I think his rack was broke fighting or maybe a car but he also had some close calls with some buckshot, notice the pellets in his main beam.

I'm not sure if their is a such thing but it was a "trophy" day in the hunting woods for me anda daythat will always behangingover themantle of memories in my head.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a half rack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.