HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Should I remove my D loop? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/249372-should-i-remove-my-d-loop.html)

Swift Arrow 06-14-2008 06:31 PM

Should I remove my D loop?

I made a mistake and test fired the Allegiance at my local pro shop the other day and now I want to know if anyone here wants a Black Ice?

Anyway, it did not have the d loop, just the string and a nock. I am wondering if the d loop on my Black Ice might be causing some torque on the shot because I notice that my arrows fly slightly sideways. Could that be the reason? When I test fired the Ally I noticed that the arrow flew straight to the target like a laser. I use a TruFire realease that sort of gradually opens the jaws as I pull back on the trigger.

buckmaster 06-14-2008 06:34 PM

RE: Should I remove my D loop?

I really wouldnt think that a D-loop would cause any torque, unless it is installed wrong somehow. Probably in your rest somewhere. JMO

Swift Arrow 06-14-2008 06:41 PM

k, thanks. I have the hostage rest and may have to step up to the hostage pro. It seems that the brushes may be a little to wide or thick and could be affecting the vanes. I am pretty sure that it is not my bow hand that is torqueing the shot since I absolutely relax it on the shot.

MECHDOC 06-14-2008 06:52 PM

If your loop is too long it will cause you to stretch out your bow holdingarm causing torque.

Swift Arrow 06-14-2008 06:57 PM

No, it's a really short loop. I was just wondering if it was catching on the jaws of my releas a bit. I think I may spend a few dollars at the bow shop for a brass nock just to see. I never stretch out my bow holding arm.

MeanV2 06-14-2008 07:01 PM

I have shot both ways and most of my bows are set up to shoot straight off the string. I realize that's old school.;)There are advantages and disadvantages to a loop, but shooting off the string has worked very well for me. I think it's whatever you prefer and get used to, but shorter bows and longer draws probably benefit themost from a D loop.

I don't see where a properly installed loop would cause any torque. It might by increasing your draw length cause you to impart some torque to the Bow.

Dan

Swift Arrow 06-14-2008 07:02 PM

Then again MECHDOC, I may have to shorten my draw length and change my anchor point ;):D

Swift Arrow 06-14-2008 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I have shot both ways and most of my bows are set up to shoot straight off the string. I realize that's old school.;)There are advantages and disadvantages to a loop, but shooting off the string has worked very well for me. I think it's whatever you prefer and get used to, but shorter bows and longer draws probably benefit themost from a D loop.

I don't see where a properly installed loop would cause any torque. It might by increasing your draw length cause you to impart some torque to the Bow.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I bet that's what it is. I've been shooting with only my knuckle touching the cheek just under the ear while the rest of the hand is behind the cheeck with too much chance of play.

Greg / MO 06-14-2008 07:54 PM

Unless you're shooting a hinge or spike or some other form of hand-held release that doesn't have a head that rotates when you anchored your knuckles against your jaw line as most target shooters do... I have to increase the draw length of my d-loop on my Constitution to avoid torqueing for this very reason on my 3-d rig...

Sounds like in your last post this isn't the case (sounds like you're shooting a caliper-style release of some sort), but just wanted to throw that out there as the exception to a loop not causing torque.

MeanV2 06-14-2008 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Swift Arrow

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
Thanks Dan, I bet that's what it is. I've been shooting with only my knuckle touching the cheek just under the ear while the rest of the hand is behind the cheeck with too much chance of play.
Yep, that would be my best guess. The change in draw length could be causing you to impart some torque on the bow by a change in grip, etc.

If you want to shoot a loop you might consider trying to shorten the draw a 1/2" and see what happens.

Dan