Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting rags   vs.  Website deer warfare >

Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Petersen's Bowhunting

The only magazine I subscribe to is Big Buck mag. It has very few adds compared to most out there. I'll pick up North American Whitetail and Deer & Deer Hunting mag from the news stands though.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm reading a magazine, I enjoy reading more about someones adventure than I do about what tactics and /or gear to use.

You nailed my thoughts on being able to learn from a "cookie cutter" magazine.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

If I'm reading a magazine, I enjoy reading more about someones adventure than I do about what tactics and /or gear to use.

You nailed my thoughts on being able to learn from a "cookie cutter" magazine.
That's the reason I enjoy the magazines too is for the stories. The only real mag that I consistantly learn something new in is Deer & Deer Hunting and what I learn is usually something more about the biology of deer rather than hunting them.

I have learned far more useful tricks on the Internet that I have in magazines. They are great for getting the basics, but once you understand how to identify deer poop they aren't much help.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

For the novices(me) out there they can really be helpful. I do understand what you mean in regards to recycled info. I used to fish professionaly and to buy a fishing mag was like being regurgitated to over and over and over. But occasionaly they would try to sell you something. I guess you are saying That will happen with me to my hunting mags I buy now huh.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very rarely to I read something in a magazine and think "Now that is going to be useful". Occasionally something might pop up but nowadays there are more ads, filler, and regurgitated(sp?) material than ever before. I like the stories and pictures (yeah I'll admit it) but really it is like I am buying these things out of habit rather than necessity or usefulness.

That being said there are lots of new hunters/bowhunters every year so I am sure someone finds them more useful than myself but give them a few years and they will feel the same way. As much as we make of this it is still deer hunting, it is ultimately as easy or as hard as each hunter makes it in the woods they hunt andmany tips and articles don't really fit where I hunt.

Last year I had a spot I really liked and was hunting it with some success (as far as sightings &not being detected) but I felt i wasn't set up quite right. I posted the pic and got some really good ideas that were helpful to me in a real world/real time kind of way. That to me was much more useful than anything I read that month. Also having access to hunters that are hunting very close to me (whether it is VA, NC, WV, etc) is super helpful because you get lots of input on deer activity and that can be really helpful during the rut and other times as well, like weather fronts.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I've stopped all magazine subscriptions over the past few years. Except Buckmasters, I think Jackie called me when I was half way through an 18 pack. I must have signed up for life to that rag.[&:]

HAHA thats awsome....same thing happened to me!! only they called new years eve i was drunk an they said i was gettin all kinds of stuff so i signed a 5 year deal... o well
Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just like reading the magazines. Especially Deer and Deer Hunting. I've found it very informative when I was starting out. Now what these mags need to do is deliver more to the poor boys. Tired of seeing articles about food plots. (If you happen to have a couple hundred acres you're not doing anything with come out a buy a Deere and plant a plot. So then when you get that first buck you can say it cost me a couple hundred thousand for him.)Inform me on mocks, scent control, making own grond blinds or mineral licks. A trial and error magazine would be great.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM

I like the stories about a hunt—with pictures of the animal and the hunter. If I need information about something, I ask a question here and/or use Google. Who has time to flip back through God only knows how many magazines because you remember reading it in one of the many hunting magazines you get?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Most of the time the wife and I will be in Wal-Mart and I will go look at the Magazines, sometimes I buy one sometimes I dont. What makes me buy one is if they have alot of good deer pictures, dead, alive it doesnt matter. Also if they have some bowhunting pictures. I will read bits and pieces of them but I mostly get them for the pictures......

Quick Reply: Bowhunting rags vs. Website deer warfare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.