Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Beans?  Corn?  Anyone seeing planting? >

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Hey Lebeau,
Your PM inbox is full
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

My cousin in Southern Iowa has only 60% of his corn planted and none of his beans. He needs close to a week of dry weather before he can continue planting. Prospects at this time are not good. A lot of southern Iowa has a clay type soil that needs to be fairly dry before any field work. The clay soil, while very fertile, does not dry out very quickly on more level fields. The sloped ground that he has already planted may be it.

Prices are already going up and we are burning food in our gas tanks.

Bob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Bartender

Unfortunatly more rain is on its way and it does not look good.
ORIGINAL: Justin

We had an excessively wet spring which prevented a lot of farmers from getting their crops in early. I'm just now starting to see noticeable growth in the corn fields, still not seeing much for beans. That's for the fields that aren't under water right now after those storms last week and early this week. A LOT of farms across that state are going to lose their fields because of the flooding. Hopefully the water drops quick and they can get replanted in time for the fall.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong - I know and like farmers and think its a noble profession, but have you ever heard
a farmer talk about how good he has it or comment how great the weather is or how great bushel prices are?

All I ever hear, year in and year out is doom and gloom and I don't know if I can make it another year talk.
I think it is part of a farmers DNA.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well one of my best buddies is a farmer, and he has everything. I mean everything, they have 3 diesel trucks, 2 quads, 2 dirt bikes, every hunting device you could imagine, nice house, EVERYTHING.

I cant explain it
Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Almost all of the fields around me were planted but the recent flooding washed almost everything away.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

It will all be gone by the end of august so it is basicll useless as far as hunting as a food source,the combines today don't leave hardly any waste like they did in thegood ole days,used to be alot of beans still on the ground after harvesting.
Yeah, but what about second growth? Since you are also in Deep South (Raytown), you should get a nice
second growth, which they usually hit until it dies at first freeze, which sometimes doesn't happen until
November or so. That's what I've seen on our place.
The beans normall don't go thru second growth,and the corn may start a second growth but they don't eat the plant itself and then the frost gets it.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM

With Record rainfalls here in MO, there are not a lot of corn fields planted. All the normal corn fields in my area have not even been tilled yet because the fields are still holding water. The fields that did get their corn in are about a foot high. I have a feeling corn prices are going to be really high this fall.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything around here is 3-5 weeks behind normal. Will be interesting to see what the fall brings. Might have some dynamite bean field hunting the first couple weeks of the season if the beans hold onto nice lush green leaves.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Beans just started coming up in a few fields around me in the last week. It's pretty early for these fields.

Quick Reply: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.