Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tune up(yourself) >

Tune up(yourself)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tune up(yourself)

Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tune up(yourself)

I second that, it will really build up your hunting confidence if your healthy and fit.

Not to mention the long term benefits of stayin in good shape, like adding a few more years to your hunting career before your body starts to decline...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Update, Gary....

I'm down 12#'s in the last 5 weeks. I'm lifting 3x/wk and incorporating a session of HIIt after my lifts. other 3 workouts/wk I'm running 3.5mi.

I'm eating a **** load of protein.....and keeping my caloric intake around 1,900cal/day. I've tightened up my belt a notch, already and my board shorts are in constant need of being pulled up .

Of late....I've been stuck on 202...and as low as 199. I don't look at the scales, anymore (as of yesterday). I know I'm gaining LM while cutting fat. I could care less what I weigh....and only care how my clothes fit, now.

I cut almost 40#'s in 2004.....and I'm up from my low about 10-12#'s. Like I said, though....I don't care what the scales say, anymore. I hope it reaps benefits in the fall.....but that's not why I'm doing it. It needed doing. I'm 43....and I'm not getting any younger.

Good luck to all.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good tip. I try to stay fit. I'm 6'2" and 205#s. I have weighed 205 for the past 15 years. At 46, soon to be 47, I feel pretty good. Being fit made a big difference back in April when I was climbing up and down the mountains of New Mexico searching for turkeys. I put in a lot of miles at an altitude my body isn't used to. I wouldn't want to be out of shape and try that hunt.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Walking at a brisk pace- burns WAY MORE fat than running and doenst sacrifice joint health.(more oxygen present).
Drop....while most of your advice is spot-on....the above statement is pure bunk (other than the joint health). Walking a mile v. running a mile burns EXACTLY the same amount of calories. Walking just takes you longer.

I burn well over 500 calories on my 3.5mi. runs. I do this in "just" over 30 minutes 6.7/6.8-mile pace). If you walked it.....you'd burn the same amount of calories.....it'd just take you longer. I'm expeditious.

And 5%BF% is world-class.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me about it, I carried my float tube and gear out at the scenic overlook above 4001 bridge last night, those 300 and something stairs almost killed me!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff guy's! Very important stuff if you want to go at it hard.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Protein intake - burns fat.

Failure to take protein after a muscle workout- burns MUSCLE.
My biggest problem right now. I workout religiously, but haven't been concentrating on protein intake enough. I love my whey protein shakes...need to get back on them.

Walking at a brisk pace- burns WAY MORE fat than running and doenst sacrifice joint health.(more oxygen present).

Although most agree on this (I really agree with the joint health aspect)...most studies I've read indicate the most efficient method is sprinting/walking repetitions (30sec-1min sprint followed by 5 minute walk, then repeat, etc). For me, I don't really like devoting the extensive time needed to get in a good fat burning walk, so I run, but I'm looking at alternatives as I don't want joint issues later down the road. Swimming is great low impact workout, but alas...I need pool for that.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Drop....while most of your advice is spot-on....the above statement is pure bunk (other than the joint health). Walking a mile v. running a mile burns EXACTLY the same amount of calories. Walking just takes you longer.

I burn well over 500 calories on my 3.5mi. runs. I do this in "just" over 30 minutes 6.7/6.8-mile pace). If you walked it.....you'd burn the same amount of calories.....it'd just take you longer. I'm expeditious.

And 5%BF% is world-class.
You may burn more calories, but less of those calories are from fat. Low intensity workouts burn a greater % of calories from fat.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

30sec-1min sprint followed by 5 minute walk, then repeat, etc
That "sounds" like someone's implying HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)....but the "intervals" described are too long for a rest period.

You may burn more calories, but less of those calories are from fat. Low intensity workouts burn a greater % of calories from fat.
You burn the same amount of calories. THIS is where what's going INTO your body is so important. How/When you train is also important (fasted v. non-fasted).....and training "right" is important. Cardio shouldn't be done for more than 45minutes....or you WILL be burning muscle. Jury's still out on fasted cardio...and I do it a few times a week. I make sure I do that protein thing when I do. I'll take my chances.

I lost weight at a VERY fast pace in 2004 (from just under 230 to 191). It was amazing. I was also running 5mi. on an empty stomach....first thing in the morning. I lost a ton of lean muscle doing this....and I'm not going to go that route, again. Like I said....I don't care if I lose another pound....as long as I replace what I'm losing with LM....I couldn't care less.

Quick Reply: Tune up(yourself)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.