Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermacell your opinions >

Thermacell your opinions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell your opinions

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thermacell your opinions

[blockquote]
I could not sit in my stands without my thermacell. Funny stories and true.
Story #1
I had a guy come from Michigan to go hunt with me just a few weeks ago and I went through my usual you need this and you need that speech. When I met him in Mayo to go after Wilbur the pig we got ready and drove to the gate. I fired up my thermacell in the car and told him to do likewise. He told me he forgot to buy one but he would be ok without it. RRRIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTT.....ok you get out and unlock the gate and I drive buy then lock it behind me I said. He got out and started to unlock the gate, I drove through reeaaallll slow to give them time to find his breath. I swear to God it looked like he was about to start break dancing in the rear view mirror and he almost ripped the car door off jumping in. Those squitos were tearing him apart in under a minute. He asked me what he was going to do and that there was no way he could take hours of that in the stand. I have 3 thermacells with me so I lent him one of mine.
Story #2
Sitting in my oak stand I was having a blast watching squirrels and deer fight over corn while the sun was setting. Everything was going fine until the first bite. Then about 5 seconds later bite number 2. Then all hell breaks loose and it feels as if I am in a schoolyard of country children with red ryder BB guns and I am the target. I even think they were trying to suck the fluid out of my eyeballs. My thermacell had run out of gas at the last ten minutes. I now carry several spares.
Story #3
I went down to Ona Florida to help a buddy thin the pork herd last August. I went down to the stand and just like every day in the summer around here it rains. It usually starts around 6:17p.m. and stops around around 6:43p.m. For those that live here you already know but for those that dont our rains look like the coming of the floods. They are a regular deluge of buckets falling from the sky. This does have one really nice effect other than freezing you for a little while. The mosquitoes dont like to fly in that crap. So no bugs. Then the rain stops and the steaming begins. It gets nice and muggy and really cleans the ole pores out but with one bad effect. Now you are a sweaty, juicy, meal for the mosquitoes. When it rains like that the thermacell was off. The mosquitoes were literally covering my skin in a black coat of the little bastards. I turn on the thermacell and 5 minutes later I am only in a living hell and needing an infusion because I am a few quarts low. 10 minutes later and the little bloodsuckers are starting to leave. 15 minutes later there was literally a dark cloud of mosquitoes 5 feet over my head but they would not enter the thermacell cloud of protection. Absolutely incredible.
I hope the guy who invented the thermacell is a billionaire and I would love to buy the guy a drink or ten. If I weren’t married to my wife I would probably marry my thermacell.

You just can NOT tough it out down here in Florida with the big black bastards with white stripes on their legs.
[/blockquote]
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM

i have been winded a few times with mine expecally when im hunting hogs
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using them since they came out and I have killed deer with them while in the tree and on the ground. I think they are the best thing since slicest bread and I won't go into the woods in the fall ( I hunt river bottoms 95% of the time and the mosquiteos are horrible). I can't sit still when they are that bad (hard to see deer when you look like you are shadow boxing up in the tree)and I can't hear anything with them buzzing around my ears. I figure if they can smell the Thermocell then they can smell me to, so I will go with the additional comfort of the Thermocell. I certainly haven't seen my success suffer any for it.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Here are your choices: 1--They MIGHT wind you from the Thermacell. (Wind direction and all)
2--They will probably wind you from the spray--again with the wind
3-You can sit and swat and not see anything because of the movement--and maybe wind
4-You can try to sit, get eaten up and be miserable.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

One of the best inventions for hunting in the past 50 years. If I forget it, I go back home. Here in SC its 100+ degrees on opening day of deer season. Hunting near the swamps is like being down in FL on the glades.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

not only for hunting works great fishing ,and hiking and shoot its kick a$$ for any outdoor activity.
I guarantee you have one allready since this was posted if not then i have no idea what you are waiting for.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used it, it works I think, never took game while using it. If it's hot enough to need one maybe it's too hotto be hunting anyway. I mostly use one for the times I'm observing deer from a distance before the season starts. Doesn't do squat for bitting flies.[:@]
Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

I've used it, it works I think, never took game while using it. If it's hot enough to need one maybe it's too hotto be hunting anyway. I mostly use one for the times I'm observing deer from a distance before the season starts. Doesn't do squat for bitting flies.[:@]
There's a lot of talk about being winded while using one, but I've never KNOWINGLY been winded while using mine. I've hunted on the ground and had deer within 10yds of me and never knew I was there.

It takes care of pretty much everything here in SC. Including out state bird (mosquito), the no-see-ums, and so on.