Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 backyard archery practice.....gone wrong... >

backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

[:@]lesson learned
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

I had something similar happen and it had nothing to do with the draw weight . I was drawing back and my release fired before I had even gotten to full draw . I usually hold the back of my index finger against the trigger but failed to do so this time . The arrowblooped over my 4' backstop . There is a green zone between some of the houses and the arrow is lost in some thick stuff . No problem with the neighbors . Luckily , they never knew . That is why it is illegal to shoot in backyards in some states .
Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank GOD I live out in the country and don't have your luck!!!!! Seriously, this could have turned out REAL bad!!!! I'd be kissing the neighbor's behind if I were you, cause if he'd called the police, you might have some trouble on your hands!!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM

In many states, a bow and arrow are considered a firearm, and the same rules and regulations that apply to firearms also apply to bows and arrows. Always check local laws, and follow these archery safety rules.
[ul][*]Only point the bow and arrow in a safe direction.[*]Only nock an arrow when it’s safe to shoot.[*]Be sure of your target and what is in front of it, immediately behind it, and beyond it.[*]Never shoot over a ridge.[*]Only shoot when you have a safe range or shooting area, and a safe backstop or background.[*]Wear an arm guard and finger protection while shooting bows and arrows.[*]Avoid dry-firing a bow (releasing the bowstring without a nocked arrow). It may cause serious damage to the bow and can injure the archer.[*]Do not shoot an arrow straight up in the air as doing so is unsafe.[*]Keep your emotions under control, and think about safety first.[*]Do not drink alcohol or take mood-altering drugs before, during, or after shooting a bow. [/ul]
[ul][*]Handle arrows carefully. Protect yourself and the arrow points with a covered arrow quiver.[*]Use a bow-stringer for stringing longbows and recurve bows.[*]Prior to each use, check your bow for cracks, dents, breaks, separating laminates, peeling glass, and defects in mechanical parts.[*]Check the bowstring regularly, and replace it if it becomes worn or frayed. Frequent use of bowstring wax greatly extends the life of a bowstring.[*]Check arrows for cracks, dents, or bends; and discard any that have permanent flaws.[*]Immediately repair defects in equipment.[*]Store your bows in bow cases–preferably hard cases–and store recurves and longbows unstrung.[*]Store arrows in quivers and accessories in a sturdy box or padded bag[/ul]
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

well i was up at the fire station today (im a fire fighter, i could just imagine that news headline if i stuck someone with an arrow) and i was talking to one of the officers up there and he was like there really is no ordinance against it, he said personally he would have to look it up if there was anything because NO ONE around here shoots a bow so he has never had to deal with it, but he just said it would probably just be an irresponsibility speech if they called the cops and nothing would have happened......seems like its a big gray area....i just have to do some more practice and try to set up a better back stop...or at least aim towards a different neighbor so i can get one free shot at each of em
Old 06-08-2008, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: deerslayer270

well i was up at the fire station today (im a fire fighter, i could just imagine that news headline if i stuck someone with an arrow) and i was talking to one of the officers up there and he was like there really is no ordinance against it, he said personally he would have to look it up if there was anything because NO ONE around here shoots a bow so he has never had to deal with it, but he just said it would probably just be an irresponsibility speech if they called the cops and nothing would have happened......seems like its a big gray area....i just have to do some more practice and try to set up a better back stop...or at least aim towards a different neighbor so i can get one free shot at each of em
Have a BBQ and get in good with your neighbors and find out which ones have dogs or children in the back yard unless the dog stays up barking at night hmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

oh my god my one neighbor does have 3 beagles he leaves out ALL DAY EVERY DAY and all they do is bark constantly......i think i might need to start practicing with some rage broadheads....hmmm.......my neigbors are legit A-holes tho...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why no matter what the scenario I always draw my bow at a downward angle. this will make sure noone gets hurt.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Same thing happened to me. The lesson I learned was that a bow is like a firearm...never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy. If you are raising the bow up above your target when you're drawing it, that is just as bad as being careless with the muzzle of a loaded gun.

I practiced drawing while not raising the bow above my target. It did go off after I made that change and I recovered my arrow. The time before my finger slipped off of a normal grip point and touched the arrow off at half draw. The time I was prepared for it there was a piece of my loop in the grip of the release and it just slipped out.

Quick Reply: backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.