Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 backyard archery practice.....gone wrong... >

backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

well today i finally broke out my bow and set up my usual target area consisting of a block foam target on the ground, 2 full size sheets of 1/2'' plywod built up behind it down in the back of my yard.....well on about my 4th shot (i was kicking butt up untill this point too) right as i started to pull back my bow, i got to about 1/2 draw and my string loop broke and my bow went off and launched the arrow up over my backstop (i raise my bow slightly while drawing, i guess i should try to breal this habbit) and it went over/through the 100' wooded area behind my yard and landed in some guys back yard.....so at this point im like DELETED ME! so i decided i guess i should go looking for it and about halfway there i hear "HEY WHAT THE DELETED FOR SKIRTINZG PROFANITY FILTER MAN!" the arrow didnt do any damage and just landed in this guys back yard but he was flipping out saying he is gunna call the cops if it ever happened again and blah blah blah...so i got my arrow back and apologized but has anyone ever had any problems like this? does anyone know the PA regulations for this type of thing? im kind of scared to shoot it now......
Old 06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

[:-]Well you should be scared! If you have to raise your bow to draw it may be to much weight! What if and I mean what if that arrow stuck in someone and killed them?[:-]You need to be more careful of what your doing! That guy had a right to be pissed off and if it were me with having little ones in the yard alot there probably would of been some kind of asswhoopin to take if you wanted your arrow back! No seriously be more careful and I'm not sure of the law but i'm sure they could get ya for something...they always can!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

i mean i personally dont think the weight is not too high for me its just i rise it maybe 4 or 5 inches not even thinking about it but because my backyard is on a downward slope even like that much was able to have the arrow go over the backrest and through woods to get there.....i honestly have no idea how the arrow made it through all the woods....
Old 06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

yikes that could of turned out ugly . don't point it up when you draw you might want to turn it down in poundage if you can't
Old 06-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all, you saying you raise your bow up in the air as you draw, makes me wonder if you're notshooting too much weight? Second, laws governing theshooting of bowsare different from one area to the next. Third, you NEED to check your equipment before EACH shooting session! And lastly, thank God nobody was hurt/killed.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

i know it was stupid, competely my fault...thing is i just waxed my bow string and looked it over and i did not see any damage on the loop...i dont know wtf happened....i just went and drew the bow in my garage and if i think about it i can hold the bow straight and draw with no probs i just someohow got into the habbit of lifting it a little bit....probably because i used to shoot a bow that was too big for me......
Old 06-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I am sure the law varies from State to State or even by Municipality. I know where I live I have a friend that lives in town and he has been harassed a time or two by a City cop that has seen him shoot, but they have never issued a citation or insisted he stop. They have just tried to make him feel irresponsible even though where he shoots is on a very large lot with a garage as a backdrop which makes it very unlikley that any mishap would ever leave his proprty unless someone purposely did an exargerated "Hail Mary" type shot.

And regardless of how you draw your bow (upwards or downwards) you have to be prepared for an arrow getting away and going high. 33 yards (you said 100') to someone elses backyard does not seem safe even with thick woods between. What if someone walking through woods?

It would seem to me that you need to reposition the direction that you are shooting from so that you have a better backdrop or find another place to shoot. JMO
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM

WOW!. . thank GOD for sure that the situation wasn't any worse, cuz the potential for disasterwas there. I shoot in my back yard alsohere in Columbus and thank God there's a garage behind mytarget. Also, my bow stays where I am aiming during my draw cycle. You should train yourself to shoot this way or back off the drawweight 'till it's managable.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

i just called my local police dept. out of curiousity because I shoot in my backyard. They said it isnt legal here unless you are in an enclosed building. You might check with your local law enforcement.

rick

Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

i just called my local police dept. out of curiousity because I shoot in my backyard. They said it isnt legal here unless you are in an enclosed building. You might check with your local law enforcement.

rick
I live in the city limits and here you can bow hunt in the city limits, city owned property is fair game for anyone as far as I know.

Quick Reply: backyard archery practice.....gone wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.