Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare) >

lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Well its been a month ago but i recently lost my Yellow lab Boomer of 9 years to a hit and run leaving him paralized in the road . He had to be put down [&o]What does this have to do with bow hunting you ask. Well this dog, even though he was my best friend had a way of interruting my bow hunting over the years He had an uncanny knack of showing up and finding me miles from the house when i was hunting and i would have to run him back home and lock him up. He has scared the hell out of me walking out in the dark several times over the years. I got smart so i thought, and started locking him up before i wentfor a mornings hunt. It worked for awhile but he eventually figured out how to hide when he heard me stirring in the house before a mornings hunt. then he would do the usual and track me down [:@]This dog brought home sheds. He got one front leg from every bow kill to knaw on for months, and share with his buddys. I have seen him kick a golden retrievers Ass for a hundred yards simply because the dog ran at my kids to play with them. Boomer thought he was attacking them I have seen him come home after bouts with yotes twice leaving him unreconized because his face was so swelled up and holes in his ears, and have to stay for days at the vets office. He has painted my concrete RED many times in my pole barn. Like when he came home from running something up his paw and had to get doubled sutured at the vets with a two day stay. He was the King,kinda like(quick sliver ) around the neighborhood weiging well over 100 pounds, he was hugh. He would show up in my game came pics, again miles away licking the lens He could keep Tuco at bay when he would come over. Boomer would stand in front of his truck when he tried to leave and bark at him He owned Tuco This Dog was a true bow hunting dog because he hated guns, the sound of them would put him in hiding, so my son had to use my father inlaws black lab for water fouling (you know the one GMMAT ) My family took this loss VERY hard, especially me. When i would come home from work he was the first to greet me. It started with his paws in my lap before i could get out of the truck, then i would get out, set on my lunch box, and talk to him for a few minutes with his head burried under my arm I loved that Dog. Well a couple days ago we brought home a new puppy to fill the void in our lives, Her name is Bella Rose, she is a six week old chocolate lab, and i have to wonder what kinda antics this one is going to pull when im bowhunting Mods if you need to move this, i totaly understand. If you feel like posting pics of your pets, id love to see them and here some storys.
Boomer

My kids and Bella Rose first day home

getting use to the water

Smluchtel and Hunsucker, if your reading this tell Sophie that i still have a soft spot in my heart for her
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Default RE: lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Dan, I'm sorry to here about your loss. I know it is like losing part of the family. I lost my Golden retriever a few years back to cancer so I know what you are going through, and it is tough. Our dog was our duck hunting dog and was very close to me. Know I have a yellow lab and she acts just like my old dog so it keeps me thinking about her.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story Dan but also a sad one! We all sure get attached to our pups, no dought there just like family. I hope the chocolate lab works out for you. Labs are excellent hunting and kids dogs. Here's my pup, he's now a year old. His name is Bear.

When he was a little guy.

Here he is at 1 year old.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry about your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family. My parents recently just lost the dog I grew up with and it was very sad for the whole family. You get to know your dog so well and vice versa its almost scarey. Your new puppy is a beaut, hopefully she will fulfill some of the empty void!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is my old friend.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 AM

A great tribute to your old friend! And although it will never be a replacement, that little pup is gonna fit right in. Its amazing how attached we get to them, and after having my very first for a year and a half now, I couldnt be without one. Here she is during her first rooster season and getting ready to go fishing.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutly beautiful pets my friends Im getting soft, i cried like a baby when i lost Boomer.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Absolutly beautiful pets my friends Im getting soft, i cried like a baby when i lost Boomer.
Been there done that Dan! It seems every dog I've had to put down the same thing happens every time. Its part of who we are, we love our pups!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very sorry to hear about your dog. There are some heartless people out there!! Good luck with your dog, she's a bute!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.