Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare) >

lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear that as well. I have a real soft spot in my heart for dogs and I think (though I may never own one) that Labs are incredible animals. Very special indeed. I've put two dogs down myself, held them when we gave them the shot and I too (big tough guy that I am) cried like a small child. They are more than just part of our family. I now have a Wired Haired Dachshund that is now trained in blood tracking and I only pray he lives with us for more years than I can imagine. I wish our dogs would out live us because it is so hard. Here's some pics of my little man.

That's him in the blue collar, picture courteousy of my breeder. This was a training session.

The day we brought him home:

Yeah, I own this stick!

And this frisbee:

Training session:

What?

5th out of 38 at a dog show:

Old 06-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

You don't have to explain a thing to me, Dan. Sorry for your loss.

Here's a photo of my self-trained MH "Ashley". I held her as she left us the day after Christmas, 2006. I had her for 9-1/2 years.....and loved every minute of them.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pic of my 14 year old chocolate we had to put down last summer.He tried to go away to die but only made it a 100 yards or so and fell over in the ditch.My wife had to take him to the vet to have it done and I met her there.A tremendously hard day for both of us.She got that dog on a New Years Day after I had done some stupid stuff that I shouldn't have and that dog might have been a life saver.

He would TRY and chase the cat off if he noticed us looking at him but he was a softy for it when no one was looking.I was lucky to get the picture,soon after the picture was taken,he chased it off,AS BEST HE COULD

Sorry for the loss.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Here is a pic of my 14 year old chocolate we had to put down last summer.He tried to go away to die but only made it a 100 yards or so and fell over in the ditch.My wife had to take him to the vet to have it done and I met her there.A tremendously hard day for both of us.She got that dog on a New Years Day after I had done some stupid stuff that I shouldn't have and that dog might have been a life saver.

He would TRY and chase the cat off if he noticed us looking at him but he was a softy for it when no one was looking.I was lucky to get the picture,soon after the picture was taken,he chased it off,AS BEST HE COULD

Sorry for the loss.
LMAO our cat and dog do the same thing when we aren't looking they are together sometimes but as soon as they hear us come home the cat is nowhere to be seen. Weird how they do that.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear of your loss. It sure is hard to take.
RIP Boomer

Here is my buddy Zac who died about 18 months ago. He went gently, laying down waiting for his dinner, and he never got up again.
He was never a hunting dog, but he was my best buddy and even typing this is bringing tears to my eyes.
We have three other dogs, but you still miss the ones who have gone!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Growing up, we were not allowed to have pets. So when I had my own family we got a dog. We got a black lab puppy. She was great with the kids and was a part of the family. She would fight (play) with the kids over toys. She would try and hide them and then when they found them she would very gently try and take them back. It was very funny to watch and they loved her and she loved them. We lost our house during the dotcom bubble burst and moved to a place on a very busy road. It wasnt long before she got hit by a car. She survived but we realized it wouldnt be long before it happened again and she might not survive next time. So we gave her to a nice family. It was hard for all of us but she is still alive because of it.

2 Pictures. One with her and my youngest son. And one with her waiting by the windows for my kids to come home from school. She would wait there all day until she saw one walking down the street.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Site Bouncer

Sorry for the loss of your dog Dan......sad indeed.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your loss Bloodcreek. I had a heartbreaking moment 3 years ago when my ex-wife's mother got into my place the day of my divorce since legally the keys hadn't been turned over yet. I left for court and she had a smile the size of Texas on her face, and her mom showed up smilling as well. I got through the mess and went home only to find my Black and Yellow Labs gone, nowhere in the divorce decree did we discuss the dogs because she didn't want them or so I thought. The Black was my all time best hunting buddy, she would catch shells outta the shotgun and would go 12 hours of hunting if you wanted her to. I don't have a digital pic of her but I have one of her litter mate, she was the pick of the litter with her brother http://www.easthilllabs.com/hank.htm

When me and the new wife were dating we decided to adopt a dog instead of me getting another purebred. Knowing that I would never replace that dog she felt it better that I get a mutt. I saw it her way and we adopted our Brittany/English Pointer/Yellow Lab mix and a year later a Black and Tan Coonhound/Black Lab mix. I can honestly say neither are near the hunting machine that Piper was but they bring a new balance of love, frustration, clumsiness and love to my home. I know you will miss your pup but I am sure the adventures you are about to embarq on will be rewarding as well. Here are our sporting mutts

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lost my companion of 13 years around the first of the year...here is the new one...Duke
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I loved that dog only because he was yours I think he just hated my truck!! I will be over to train Bella Rose before she gets old enough to be mean to me[]

Quick Reply: lost my 4 leged friend (bow hunters night mare)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.