HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   08 archery boar!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/248209-08-archery-boar.html)

Elkcrazy8 06-03-2008 06:14 PM

08 archery boar!!!

As some of you may have seen, my friend from NY came in and killed a nice sow. Well I stuck it out and killed a nice boar last night...

TexasBowHunter 06-03-2008 06:17 PM

RE: 08 archery boar!!!

NICE bear brother!! Congratulations!!!!

early in 06-03-2008 06:41 PM

AWESOME trophy! Congrats!!!

Siman08/OH 06-03-2008 06:43 PM

Awesome, story?

forddeerslayer 06-03-2008 06:53 PM

AWESOME!! and what siman said mind sharing the story?????????

Rory/MO 06-03-2008 07:07 PM

way to go!

_Dan 06-03-2008 07:08 PM

Nice color phase man.

AZHuntr 06-03-2008 07:09 PM

NIce looking boar man way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elkcrazy8 06-03-2008 07:29 PM

I started baiting on may 12th, this year was a product of a heavy snow year. Little did I know, but the heavy snows saved me. My normal bait spot was a product of a controlled burn. My friend from New York had never killed a bear before, so that was priority 1 for me. He killed a real nice sow on his first day.

We did all the dirty work on "off "feeding hours to get his bear out. I try to keep human intervention WWAAYY low.

I have heard pros and cons as to how much bait to use, schedules etc. I like to make a large haul and stay completely out for 10-12 days to establish a pecking order. This will push some bears to come in during the 2-3 oclock range.

The bear that Jerry killed was the dominant bear on the bait. This pushed the smaller bears to feed at night. I increased the amount of caramel syrup and grease on the ground to allow the bears that were feeding an opportunity to get the liquid on their feet and attract more bears,

I knew that it was only a matter of time before the advertising paid off.

After several nights of watching birds and chipmunks I decided to keep going back. I spotted the boar the night before I shot it, but he would not come in. I could not keep myself from going yesterday as it was hot all day. I knew with the rut kicking in, there was a chance the boar would slip in early.

The first glimpse of the bear was to my right and he was standing up. He slipped in fast, grabbed one bite, and was headed out. Thats when I decided that it was now or never. He went 50 yards before piling up. It made for a long night as I was by myself. But what a satisfying night to say the least....

Schultzy 06-03-2008 07:34 PM

Awesome bear!!!! Man your giving me the itch for bear hunting bad!! My season doesn't start till Sept.1st in Minnesota. Congratulations on the big bear!!!