Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!! >

Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!!

I am getting back into the sport and know that like all others it takes practice, practice, practice and would love to be able to do this in my back yard. I live in a regular neighborhood in Northglenn CO which is a suburb of Denver. I have a neighbor on each side with none in the back, just about a 25 foot tall hill that goes down to some railroad tracks (not used anymore) then back up about another 20 feet. I know that if I can shoot at home I will practice more out of pure convenience but I don't want to have my stuff taken away either. I was planning on shooting in line with the tracks down in the man made valley behind my house but on occassion there are people who walk along the top of the hill and I thought once someone saw me I would be reported and then there would be black helicopters, homeland security, crying kids and a loudspeake telling me I don't have to do it. Maybe a little exagerated but just wondering what people thought or if anyone has tried something similar. Travis
Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!!

You are probably going to have to check your local ordinances.

I shoot in my backyard but I live half way out in the sticks.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Call the local police and ask them if its legal to shoot a bow there.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

I live in suburbs of chicago in a congested subdivision.I shoot in my yard all the time.I contacted the chief of police via email and he told me thathe highly recommends against but it is not illegal.The bow is not classified as a firearm so you canshoot it city limits.He told me anything bad that happens from me shooting I would be 100% responsible for(obviously).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Im pretty sure it has to do with the distance to the closest livi in dwelling. I have fiver acres and the cops say I can shoot an UZI if I want, but if there was a house within 500 yrds...i could only pretend to shoot it. I am almost positive with a bow, even a crossbow you can shoot on your property, just be ethical and make sure your backdrop will stop any strays.

I would even go next door and ask if they mind.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: MECHDOC

I live in suburbs of chicago in a congested subdivision.I shoot in my yard all the time.I contacted the chief of police via email and he told me thathe highly recommends against but it is not illegal.The bow is not classified as a firearm so you canshoot it city limits.He told me anything bad that happens from me shooting I would be 100% responsible for(obviously).
In other words, it is not a good idea. If you have a basement like I do than that might be an option? I live in a nice suburb also and I shot mine in the back yard without even thinking about it until one arrow it a soft spot and made a clean bullet hole through the thick piece of wood that I used as a back stop. It is too much to worry about so I am not going to do it anymore.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Travis, I know that suburban hunting is quite tempting, I have seen bigger bucks in my parents backyard in the Suburbs of Chicago than I have ever seen in the woods. I actually had an enormous 10 pointer 5 years ago grazing 5 feet from my bow target, but hunting is illegal in our neighborhood. I was mad. Where are these deer when Im in the woods? My father is actually doing the same thing a you are thinking of doing at a friends house a few miles from his place in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago. He found out that at his age in Illinois, he can now use a crossbow to hunt whitetails at his age. He was a Cop befored he retired so he knew the people to talk to in order to make sure he would be legal this fall.

I don't know how it works in Colorado, but here in Illinois, the first thing is the area you are in has to be in an unicorporated area. Im not a homeowner in the suburbs, so I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but a simple trip to the Police Department and they would be able to help you out. I personally would ask the cops in the town you were in and the county police, just to be sure. After that, you are legal to go. Where ever you hunt though, I would make sure you have permission if it is not your property. The main thing I would worry about is a wounded deer. I don't know how big your yard is or how friendly you are with your neighbors, but that is the thing I have always worried about.A perfectly hit deer can still run a good distance and you wouldn't want it falling over dead near a childrens playground or someones background who it a anti-hunter. If your lucky you will be friends with all your neighbors and if your even luckier, the deer have been eating all the neighbors wives flowers and they will want them gone worse than anyone.

My father knows all the people on one side of his friends house and there is flood overflow area on the other side that the city owns and he is friends with the foreman of the city works, so he is in pretty good shape. I think if your in an unincorporated area and have persmission for the land you are hunting on and plan on going to retrieve your animal, you are in good shape. As you said, practice, practice and more practice. In the suburban areas, a quick kill is more important than on a large chunk of land in the country (That sounded bad, a quick kill is important wherever you are)

Hope this helps, im no expert, just giving my experience. Good Luck!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM

just shoot your damn bow!! They are not going to lock you up for it, they may warn you not to do it, but locking you up for shooting your bow, I don't think so.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that you should be asking your neighbors. Even if it is technically legal, I would think that you would want a good relationship with your neighbors. Explain to the about a proper backstop and how safe you are and plan to be. Who knows, maybe you recruit another member to our fraternity. I think this is a better choice verses checking with the cops, finding out its technically legal and going out and starting to let fly. If they have a problem with it, then check with the cops and you are no further behind.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

I think that you should be asking your neighbors. Even if it is technically legal, I would think that you would want a good relationship with your neighbors. Explain to the about a proper backstop and how safe you are and plan to be. Who knows, maybe you recruit another member to our fraternity. I think this is a better choice verses checking with the cops, finding out its technically legal and going out and starting to let fly. If they have a problem with it, then check with the cops and you are no further behind.
I agree, I should have done the same thing. You might want to make sure that little Fido next store is not in the yard, just in case your backstop does not work as well as think it might,ha ha

Quick Reply: Is shooting in my backyard going to get me handcuffed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.