Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM

Default RE: Fot those whom don't use trail cams...

For me, the best scouting is done while I am hunting. I learn more valuable information on deer patterns during the season than whole rest of the year combined.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use trail cams. I rely on the little details of the woods to tell me of the deer I am after.

Not one buck I have ever killed I have seen on trailcam. I've relied solely on an individual bucks sign and my own scouting.. and the lay of the land to point out where to take him.

A perfect example is a 23" wide 4.5 yr. old I took in late November 2006. I started hunting this buck in 2005 after finding his rubs. I never laid eyes on him until the day I shot him in 06'. He was a ghost until that day.

His rubs were first identified by myself in early October of 2005. They were easy to identify.. I knew the buck had a wide rack due to the rubs he left behind. Everytime he rubbed a tree his wide rack would cause smaller sticks and twigs to break as much as 12" from the rub itself. I then used this knowledge to identify every rub he made and then lead me to discover and identify his tracks which layed below his rubs. I had his bedding area pinned very quickly that year... but never saw him as his movements were nearly always at night.... nearly.

The following year in late Novemeber I hunted near some of his extremely fresh sign.. he left 3 brand new rubs in a fencerow that was littered with a preferred food source. I hung my stand in between his "known" bedding area and the fencerow in a saddle I knew the buck would have to be taking between them both.

The second sit in that stand on November 25th, 2006 was the first I ever saw him. Now I see him everyday. The rubs he left are gone now... he was the buck I was after without any pictures to prove it.. just the details he left behind.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Bartender

Ready for a beer yet?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
bigcountry

I won't use a trail cam. I look for sign. Bottom line is if thier is no sign, no matter how good it looks and how you think a buck would come thru here, don't hunt it.

Especially rut. A trail cam is useless in rut. A buck could travel a mile outside its range in rut. I could be on my way to a stand, and will change my plans if I see hot sign.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use trail cams also but when the season nears the woods fill up with people trying to get ready for Nov. gun season. I start looking for high travel areas an thick areas between feeding an bedding. Those areas usually start to show signs of rubs an scrapes. Those are low impact areas as far aspeople scouting an walking the woods. Those are not desirable by most hunters because it to thick to hunt. Those are the areas that I watch an normally from a distance without going into those areas. I look for open roadsan open woods surrounding those thick areas. Those will usuallyhave scrapes an rubs from night time activity. WhenI find that kind of activity inthose areas. I know that the thick areas that I want to hunt is hot. I have learned when you know an area is hot you need to be there NOW!!Trail cameras are not really that effective in myopinion when the rut breaks loose unless you are watching scrapes.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because I travel to hunt I don't get to use cameras. I wait until the rut to start my hunting. I sit areas such as gregh mentioned in his post. (travel corridors between doe groups) I would like to mention that often times these areas have very little sign. That is because the deer are traveling thru. I have become more agressive in my hunting as well. I have started looking for hot sign in an area and hunting the funnels leading to that area.I also do a lot of agressive calling.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

whom?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.