Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best State for success >

Best State for success

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best State for success

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best State for success

Don't come to Idaho.. no elk left here.. [8D]
Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Define success. Is it "bang for the buck", killing an elk, easy access, etc. Keep in mind, much of Wyomingand New Mexico is privately owned. Access is by invite only (trespass fees are very common). In Arizona, the tags are tough to draw. Ihave never investigated elk hunting in Montana. There a few sleeper states like Nebraska, S. Dakota, Utah, andIdaho. Again, I do not know enough about the regulations and access within these states to fully comment.

Being a resident of Colorado, I can honestly say Colorado has been very very good to me! I have seen some "toad" bulls. I have alsoseen my share of raghorns. But, at least for me, any elk with a bow is a trophy. Tags are over the counter, access is unlimited, elk numbers are going up. Colorado has all the rightingredients for success. Mix in your sincere effort and you'll have a tough time wiping that ear to earsmile off your face.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Well I'm planning on going with an outfitter so I don't think that access is a problem.. They are all pretty much priced the same.. I'm looking for 5x5 bull... no trophy quality, but it will be a trophy to me since it'll be my first elk.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:38 PM

Depends.. DIY or guided? I lot of people have been saying NM. I would say NM if you're going guided. CO with lots of elk. I'm an expatriate from Montana and love it there DIY. The fire season can have a real impact on where you go and you won't know that until it's time to pack and go. Research multiple areas in a statefor DIY or go with an outfitter that has multiple camps. I live in Washington state now which along with Oregon obviously don't get any respectfor elk hunting. You should know that the biggest bodied elk are the Pacific coast Roosevelts in WA and OR.. and if jungle hunting is your idea of fun them come on out!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

well since this is going to be my first time elk hunting I'm going to go with an outfitter..
Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kamil

well since this is going to be my first time elk hunting I'm going to go with an outfitter..
Good Luck!! Be sure and post the story and pics this fall!

Dan
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The good state of Wyoming. I go out there every year deer hunting and I see hundreds of elk. I can never get a elk tag drawn.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only reason that people think That Colorado is tougher and less successful is because90% of themare too lazy to venture away from the roads. The terrain is generaly steeper and at higher altitudein Colorado than in NM or AZ and this is the tough part. If you are in shape and do your homework then there are plenty of 350+ bulls in Colorado. I've seen them and have pics of them.There are also more than 300,000 elk in Colorado and probably 90% of those live West of I25. Coloradohasmore than twice as many as the next closest state whichI believe is Montana.

It is true that AZ and NM generally have larger bulls but drawing odds are slim. Colorado is OTC for the most part and you have 5 full weeks to bow hunt. Don't think that you need to go to a limited draw unit to get aP&Y bull. Do your homework and there are bulls to be hunted.

Oh, and your Colorado archery tag is either sex.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Yeh I definately plan on getting in shape... actually i already started even though the hunt is next year. I've heard the altitude change can be rough on the body.