Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who has changed the way..... >

who has changed the way.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who has changed the way.....

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who has changed the way.....

Actuallythe regsare at least 4 points on one side now that I re-read it.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted the same farm for 20 yrs and I worked the farm as well............I just know my woods and know them well. I don't recall anyone that has changed how I do it, I just learned on my own really.
I am in very similar situation. I have hunted my primary hunting spot for quail and turkey long before we even had deer on it. Although we hunted sdeer down state when I was a kid, I really didn't know much until I started hunting back in the mid 80's on our own property when we started seeing more and more deer in the area.

My primary hunting property is roughly 300 acres and like you, I literally know every square foot of it.

Where we differ it seems,is in our approach to hunting these properties. Granted, I already know bedding areas, travel routes, early season feeding patterns, late season feeding patterns, etc., but every year I am still learning something in regard WHEN to hunt, HOW to enter and leave, Wind direction, inclement weather adjustments, rut tactics, etc, etc.

Some of my new tactics are things I think of myself but mostof these things I experiment with because of something I read or heard from someone else. Not anyone in particular, just a cumulation of a lot of people/resources.

The way I hunt today is so different than 5 years ago as it was so different than the 5 years before that.

As has already been mentioned by others, when I get to the point that I don't think I am learning something new and improving in my approach to hunting, that is when I will find something else to do.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 AM

sounds good. Im open to learn I just haven't met anyone that would help me learn my woods better than me. All this pertains to my woods, if i went to a new place I would need help big time!! I will be hunting new land this year and it will take some time to learn it. Please don't think that Im saying I got the deer figured out, that will never happen but so much. I just have not tried a lot of things different over the years, see, and you should know this too NEW, the dog hunting around here screws everything up all year, these trials and people running in the off season makes bowhunting really hard in this section of the state.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can’t see how anyone could NOT be influenced at least in some way by an outside source/person. You may not even realize it, but unless you’ve never talked or read anything about hunting, you HAVE been influenced by someone else.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 AM

let me re-phrase.... I have been influenced, but not influenced to change my style of hunting, but come to think of it, I really don't have one!! I go in with the stand on my back and look for sign and set up, sometimes I kill/see sometimes I don't, that's it though, I wish I had a strategy!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM

For me, my ex is the reason I got into hunting. And I thank him for that, I have really come to love being in the outdoors and the challenge that hunting brings to the spirit.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Va...Find an area where 3 habitats come together...In your area it could be a swamp that borders a cutover and a white oak or a beech ridge...There will be a deer trail there, going to and from the swamp and cutover onto the ridge which will be the feeding area in Sept-late October...If you see acorn tops with a half circle cut out of them, that's where a deer ate the acorn...Squirrels don't cut the top...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 AM

been there done that, killed many deer this way, but thanks for the heads up!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 AM

I am pretty much 100% self taught in the deer hunting arena. There were 2 "turning points" though. 1. I read Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon. Light bulb came on, and my deer sightings went up tremendously.

2. Buckeye. That guy is an absolute wealth of information,and I've learned a hell of a lot from him.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

the dog hunting around here screws everything up all year, these trials and people running in the off season makes bowhunting really hard in this section of the state.
Is it any wonder why I duck hunt during the deer season Landon?

You are definately right there.... I see where you are coming from with this thread. The place you and your brother visited with Reb and I is much like the farm you have hunted on for so long.... I learned nearly all of it on my own two feet. Scouting cameras, spending time out there, turkey hunting, pre-scouting, hunting... I understand the place better each time I come back from there.

But of course... all that comes back to what I've learned from my mentors as a young man, and a lot of T&E.