Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what bow for 15 year old first time bow hunter? >

what bow for 15 year old first time bow hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what bow for 15 year old first time bow hunter?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what bow for 15 year old first time bow hunter?

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

Forget about the xbow for now, you'll get much more satisfaction out of a compound bow. I don't know about Ohio but most states still don't allow xbows during archery season. I was also limited as to how much I could spend and my shoulders wouldn't let me pull these new faster bows very easily. I wound up buying a Diamond Justice, they're affordable and the cams are silky smooth. My bow set to 70# is much easier to draw than my buddy's Vectrix set at 60#. Although I've never shot them the Martin bows are also reasonably priced and they have a 15# draw range, at 15 your arm strength will grow quickly and this large range might allow you to get something with a little higher poundage and you'll have it longer before you outgrow it.
so ur saying get what??????
You have to try the bows before you buy to see what you like. I chose the Diamond Justice because it seemed like the best comprimise of of performance, price and shootability. It uses the same cams as the Liberty and gets similar performance but for a much cheaper price. The main difference is that I had to buy a front mount STS instead of a rear mount. The Justice doesn't have a rear mounting hole I guess that they had to "Justify" the price difference.

How tall are you and what's your draw length? When my son was 15 he went from 5' 8" to about 6' 2" in one year, that's enough to outgrow the Edge.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this deal at Hunters Friend on a Justice package. It even includes arrows, a release, a hard case, sight, rest, quiver, stabilizer,sling, peep, field tips and broadheads. Everything is installed, paper tuned and 20 yard pin sighted in, all for $589 to your door.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Diamond-Discount-Compound-Bow/Justice-by-Bowtech-Close-Out.htm

Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 AM

You really need to go to a proshop where someone knows halfway what they're doing to help determine your drawlength and test out some bows. That's pretty generic advice, but it's really the best thing you do starting out.
Whatever your budget is, remember to factor in the cost of accessories as well. Your bow may set you back $450. But then add in a basic $60 sight, $40 quiver, $80 fall away rest, $50.00 for a decent release, and $100 for some mid grade arrows. Bingo an instant $330.00 has been tacked on.[&:]
Ebay and online archery equipment classifieds are my friends. You can, at times find some decent deals on those sites. Just be sure to double check your sellers ratings and feedback from other buyers.
But, I would buy the big ticket items at a proshop first. First, it ensures what your getting is correct and in working order. Secondly, you establish a working relationship with that shop. A good thing to have when a problem arises or you need advice.
In answer to your question about "good" bows. A good bow is the one that fits you and you can shoot comfortably. Doesn't matter what label is painted on the limbs.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

Forget about the xbow for now, you'll get much more satisfaction out of a compound bow. I don't know about Ohio but most states still don't allow xbows during archery season. I was also limited as to how much I could spend and my shoulders wouldn't let me pull these new faster bows very easily. I wound up buying a Diamond Justice, they're affordable and the cams are silky smooth. My bow set to 70# is much easier to draw than my buddy's Vectrix set at 60#. Although I've never shot them the Martin bows are also reasonably priced and they have a 15# draw range, at 15 your arm strength will grow quickly and this large range might allow you to get something with a little higher poundage and you'll have it longer before you outgrow it.
so ur saying get what??????
You have to try the bows before you buy to see what you like. I chose the Diamond Justice because it seemed like the best comprimise of of performance, price and shootability. It uses the same cams as the Liberty and gets similar performance but for a much cheaper price. The main difference is that I had to buy a front mount STS instead of a rear mount. The Justice doesn't have a rear mounting hole I guess that they had to "Justify" the price difference.

How tall are you and what's your draw length? When my son was 15 he went from 5' 8" to about 6' 2" in one year, that's enough to outgrow the Edge.
im 5'8
Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

You really need to go to a proshop where someone knows halfway what they're doing to help determine your drawlength and test out some bows. That's pretty generic advice, but it's really the best thing you do starting out.
Whatever your budget is, remember to factor in the cost of accessories as well. Your bow may set you back $450. But then add in a basic $60 sight, $40 quiver, $80 fall away rest, $50.00 for a decent release, and $100 for some mid grade arrows. Bingo an instant $330.00 has been tacked on.[&:]
Ebay and online archery equipment classifieds are my friends. You can, at times find some decent deals on those sites. Just be sure to double check your sellers ratings and feedback from other buyers.
But, I would buy the big ticket items at a proshop first. First, it ensures what your getting is correct and in working order. Secondly, you establish a working relationship with that shop. A good thing to have when a problem arises or you need advice.
In answer to your question about "good" bows. A good bow is the one that fits you and you can shoot comfortably. Doesn't matter what label is painted on the limbs.
i willl probably go to bass pro once summer hits and check out there bows and test some ect.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

At 5'8, I would stay away from the Diamond Edge if I were you. Look at the diamond rock and justice, Fred Bear showdown and lights out, PSE stinger, Parker Trailblazer just to name a few.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Are you gonna grow still? If so I would reccomend buying used bows from an archery shop. They are cheap and a lot of the times you can find year old bows for about 1/4 what you pay for them new.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM

yeah im still gonna grow
Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM

i need a bow thats pretty compactt because im going to be hunting from a box blind as well as a tree stand
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM

so i guess it would be short axle to axle length

Quick Reply: what bow for 15 year old first time bow hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.