Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Briefly describe your first buck...

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Haha Greg, I love the "brief' answer!! I shot my first racked buck when I was 16 back in 1880, yikes Im getting old. I was hunting a hardwoods creek botton, was like a dream, he came walking down a trail at 7AM ish around Nov 20th or so, shot him, he ran about 15 yards and rolled over down into the creek. I sat there thinking what just happened?? I'll have to get a picture of it and scan it.
1880, I would say so!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 AM

First buck was a 6 point. I was hunting on a new piece of land that my friend has. I didn't know the land well yet, he gave me a tip on a pretty good spot from years past. Hung the stand and saw many deer, all bucks at that! But none came across the creek and gave me a shot. But he said they would come, eventually. One day in November I took off work, took the kids to school and hit the stand several hours later than I normally would. Not 45 minutes later 2 bucks came in and I took a 15 yard shot that hit the mark. Went to school, took my son out of class, and he helped dad track his first buck. Let me tell ya, that boy can bloodtrail a deer better than most adults I know! What helped me take this deer, trust. MY friend said they would come across that creek, and down that trail and they did just that. Also, changing up my routine, I now hunt the mid-day hours frequently. I've found more bucks moving then than any other time of day where i hunt.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first was a spike, weighed all of 75 pounds. Took him on 2 acres of land with a .243.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that I'll catch crap about this but I'm claiming youthful indescression. I was 15 years old and I was walking home from my stand. I started walking home right at the end on legal shooting hours and I shot him about 2 minutes later so we'll just say that my watch was slow. It was a four pointer and he probably thought that it was dark enough to stay hidden from me, I stepped on his front leg. When I felt it move I looked down to see antlers coming up at me. I must have jumped about ten feet but he just stood there so I nocked an arrow and shot him in the neck.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Bartender

Boxers or briefs?
ORIGINAL: GregH

He said Brief! [8D]

Dec. 7, 1968

Old 05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

First one was a basket rack 6 pt. I shot him my second year bowhunting at 20 yds. I was shaking so badly I put my bow hand against the tree to steady it. He went 30 yds. and piled up. I acted like I had just hit lotto! The year was 1992.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

A broken hornd cow horned spike. 30-30 lever action. deer was spooked by bicylest. ran by my tree at 10 yrds. hit the ground instantly he started the dieing kick so I shot him again. 1988. (i was 15)
Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

This is my first buck.I got him in 2004.He isan 8 point about 2.5.I was only bowhunting 3 seasons prior to getting him.I got himon heavily hunted public land.It was a 30 yard double lung shot.He ran less than 30 yards.I made a elementary mistake while field dressing him and cut to far up the chest thats why it is a neck mount.I put the board behind it just todo somethinga little different.Not a monster but means alot to me.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM

45" 7 pointer. 9 yards.

Brief enough?

JK

I actually shot at this same but 5 days before and shot right between his legs. That weekend I was in the stand when he came by again. I didnt miss that time. I was shaking so hard I thought I was gonna fall out of the stand lol

Notice how ancient the bow isAnd the arrow is still in the deer. Dang I didnt notice I hit him that high[:-]

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

4x4 mule deer / 1981

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.