Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many air-balls? >

How many air-balls?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many air-balls?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many air-balls?

but as an ending note, lets say im better with a bow than a gun[] i have missed at least 5shooters with my gun[:@]so..........i am now a bowhunter only unless im hunting for elk, moose etc..
Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

but as an ending note, lets say im better with a bow than a gun[] i have missed at least 5shooters with my gun[:@]so..........i am now a bowhunter only unless im hunting for elk, moose etc..

Steve, where ya hunt elk moose at??
Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound(s) Shed, geesh!

I have managed to kill some good bucks, but I am fortunate to live in a state where you have a chance if you do some work. I grew up in mid-western Illinois in McDonough county which is close to the famed Fulton county and about 1 1/2 hrs. from Pike and Adams. After I missed the first big deer I mentioned, we managed to get the lease on that farm and myfriends still have it. One of them killed a 213" non-typical therethree years ago during gun seasonand they consistantly kill P&Y deer every year during bow season. Ifmy business partners scanner still works I'llscan a pic. andI'll post it for you. I now live in the southern portion of the state and while the bodies on the deer aren't quite as big, butthe antlers are still there. The other two I mentioned were on a farm that has been managed well for over 10 years and that I am now in on a lease with a few other guys. Contrary to what theOutdoor Channel might have you believe, there aren't Booners behind every tree here, but we haveour share.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Lots of flung arrows in my younger days,to many to count.As far as real nice bucks just one but the second shot found it's mark.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brett/IL

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound(s) Shed, geesh!

I have managed to kill some good bucks, but I am fortunate to live in a state where you have a chance if you do some work. I grew up in mid-western Illinois in McDonough county which is close to the famed Fulton county and about 1 1/2 hrs. from Pike and Adams. After I missed the first big deer I mentioned, we managed to get the lease on that farm and myfriends still have it. One of them killed a 213" non-typical therethree years ago during gun seasonand they consistantly kill P&Y deer every year during bow season. Ifmy business partners scanner still works I'llscan a pic. andI'll post it for you. I now live in the southern portion of the state and while the bodies on the deer aren't quite as big, butthe antlers are still there. The other two I mentioned were on a farm that has been managed well for over 10 years and that I am now in on a lease with a few other guys. Contrary to what theOutdoor Channel might have you believe, there aren't Booners behind every tree here, but we haveour share.
Brett, I didnt mean too.. sorry.. I have no doubt you've killed some dandies.. I guess I came across wrong.. I applaudyourhonesty on the clean misses... Like I said earlier.. no misses usually means not a lot of opportunities..not always but most of the time.. there are a few likeRybo that just flat out rarely miss ever!Not I... I've had afew whiffs myself.. as for yourrecurve efforts I have the highest respect for the archers that get it done with those bows.... and again I hope you hammer a slammer this fall!

Send me some pix please, and while your doing it..show me that bow too! good luck
Old 05-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant remember for sure, but I think 3. I had several misses back during my first couple of years bowhunting. Usualy with bucks I have no problems its the does that get me.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 clean misses on bucks, both in my first year of archery hunting. The first was a 1.5 year oldbuck at a scrape. He was sniffing the tree trunk when I shot. My arrow clipped the overhanging branch and it fell into the scrape. I think I may have been admireing his headgear.[:@]

The second was a buck I saw as I was walking back to my truck. I had reached the edge of a field and he was following a doe across it in my general direction. He was a good sized buck too, 130" I bet.I thought he was 30 yards, he was more like 40+. Right under his chest.

That was the last time I missed a buck that I have launched an arrow at.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shed-I was just giving you a hard time. I can take, and give, a hard time with the best of them. I will try to get some pics of that big non-typical scanned and posted for all you guys.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

Steve, where ya hunt elk moose at??
i killed a 6x6 in colorado at kesslercanyon, the place is amazing, i also cot a 10 pound rainbow there, wish i could live there.....we went 8 for 8 on bulls and every one was over 300 inches, check it out

www.kesslercanyon.com
Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to be truthfull, I have never had a deer get away unscathed. Its a very odd stat considering I have taken more than a dozen deer and not one I am proud of....I have had a few(too many) shots I wished I missed after the fact. I missed one buck due to the string catching on my collar, but he didnt get away unscathed - I got a second shot that I wont discuss as no one would believe me....he got away relatively unharmed anyway.

I have missed a few dozen squirrels, a bunch of turkeys, and many coyotes. Turkeys I just have a hard time hitting, and coyotes have insane reflexes.

Quick Reply: How many air-balls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.