Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness? >

Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness?

Well, I've decided I want to switch most of my stand sites over to hang-ons due to the ability to make more quiet entrances/exits. I currently have three climbers and one ladder stand. I plan to use the ladder, and was planning on buying two or so hang-ons, but I got to thinking. To of my climbers are fairly bare bone budget climbers we picked up at Bass Pro about 7 years ago. They're noisy climbers, but very nice once up and settled in. Is there any harm in simply purchasing some climbing sticks/foot pegs and just hanging this as a make-shift hang-on? I figure I can save some money this way, and also have two decent hang-on stands. My third climber is an API grand slam mag, and it will remain a climber because it's very quiet and I use it moreso in rifle season. Thoughts? Am I being too cheap?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness?

Climbers make awesome hang-ons because they are so comfortable! I found that I need to put a ratchet on the bottom section, though, as it tends to swing when stepping onto it from the side. Other than that, no problem. Go for it!

... Shockwave
Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree if it works as a climber why wouldn't it work otherwise. I'd add the ratchet strap probably to both unless you move the top up out of the way untill you get in. Nothing worse than clanging them together or loosing the bottom. Just be extra carefull if your stepping in and out without the bottom realy secured. Maybe you should strap on to the tree before attemping to step onto the stand regardless. Just a thought.

I have a couple climbers and several hang ons. The climbers I have wouldn't be to good left out because of the seats. Well one wouldn't be any good anyway. A little rain and it would be a bit uncomfortable to sit. LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use a couple old climbers as lock-ons, they are a bear to get into sometimes though. Use your harness!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM

i did it last season with one of mine. i screwed tree steps in top and bottom, and hung the cable that goes around the tree on them. i also ratchet strapped both the top and bottom. solid asa rock and very comfortable.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen it done before, and hey if it works, who cares if youre being cheap
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

killed my buck out of this stand last fall. yep, thats an older model tree lounge up there! buddy sets it up there every season....he rarely ever uses it as a climber. too big, heavy, noisy etc...

no steps...just hemlock limbs...but it would worked just as well with steps or ladder.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Your not cheap just resourceful.My friend uses just the platform of a cheap hunters view climber and its worked for him 2 years now.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good. I think I will give it a go this year.

Mauser, I hear you on the tree lounge. My uncle and one of my friends has one, and they're a bear. Probably just right when used as a hang-on.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get a kick out of the guys who spend $1,000.00+ on a bow set-up designed to take life. The same guy doesn't want to spend more than $99.00 on a product designed to protect his life.

What is you're life worth?

Quick Reply: Converting Climber to Hang-on...Epitome of Cheapness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.