HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How sharp is sharp enough? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/246551-how-sharp-sharp-enough.html)

killadoe 05-19-2008 06:57 AM

How sharp is sharp enough?

I have been sharpening some blades with a lansky sharpener and I was curious how sharp do you guys consider sharp? I have been sharpening them till they shave but I have heard some people say that is still not quite sharp enough, to me they are sharper than when new right now. By the way they are some old spitfire blades I have.. Thanks...

BGfisher 05-19-2008 07:20 AM

RE: How sharp is sharp enough?

If you're not afraid of them then they aren't sharp enough.

kevin1 05-19-2008 07:20 AM

Sharp enough to shave is easily more than sharp enough to cleanly kill, anything more than that is overkill and can actually weaken the edge.

spikebuck77 05-19-2008 07:31 AM

If they are sharper than the factory blades it might be a little too thin and theedgecan quickly wear off before deep penetration is made. A little more angle on your Lansky can provide a sharp blade that will stay sharp deeper in the wound. Your best option might be to try to restore the original factory edge.

nfleming399 05-19-2008 07:37 AM

I shoot Muzzy's, they are more than sharp enough new out of the package.Some guys say theyd never shoot broadheads until they sharpen them, I don't understand. I know Muzzy (and most broadhead makers, id assume) takes pride in what they make, the arent gonna put their name on something that doesn't work. I don't mess with it because i can get brand new replacement blades relatively cheap. Ive shot two deer with the same broadhead before, never sharpened the blades, both ran less than 100 yds, call it unethical or whatever but i checked it over after shooting the first deer, it looked brand new. I spend my time worrying about where the arrow hits, because I know, from experience, my broadheads wll do their job if i do mine.

brucelanthier 05-19-2008 07:42 AM

They are sharp enough when YOU think they are sharp enough.

early in 05-19-2008 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: nfleming399

I shoot Muzzy's, they are more than sharp enough new out of the package.Some guys say theyd never shoot broadheads until they sharpen them, I don't understand. I know Muzzy (and most broadhead makers, id assume) takes pride in what they make, the arent gonna put their name on something that doesn't work. I don't mess with it because i can get brand new replacement blades relatively cheap. Ive shot two deer with the same broadhead before, never sharpened the blades, both ran less than 100 yds, call it unethical or whatever but i checked it over after shooting the first deer, it looked brand new. I spend my time worrying about where the arrow hits, because I know, from experience, my broadheads wll do their job if i do mine.
Very well said! I think some folks go overboard.;)

killadoe 05-19-2008 07:52 AM

Thanks fellas, they are shaving sharp now so I wont do any more sharpening, to me that is sharp enough. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks..

Schultzy 05-19-2008 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: spikebuck77

If they are sharper than the factory blades it might be a little too thin and theedgecan quickly wear off before deep penetration is made.
I do not agree with this! Some BH companies do not have there BH's shaving hair and ready to use. If your BH's are that thin then maybe you better look into something that is a bit stronger being your looking for problems before you even start.

A little more angle on your Lansky can provide a sharp blade that will stay sharp deeper in the wound.
This I agree with though.

BobCo19-65 05-19-2008 10:06 AM

Here is a thought. There are some very serious successful hunters out there that swear byusing a file only method of sharpeningbroadheads. What they believe is that after the head has gone though the hide and the first set of ribs (assuming you hit ribs), thata scalpul sharpened head will be dulled significantly. A surgeon only uses one scalpulfor one cut from what I am told. The file sharpened head although somemay call it dull compared to a scalpul sharpened will retainit's sharpness better.On the file sharpened head there will be microserations (can not be seen by the eye).

Personally, I have never tried it, but there are some that swear by it.